12985Re: [norse_course] Selected Sentences for August 5th

    Aug 6, 2013
      At 11:43:44 PM on Monday, August 5, 2013,
      elliot.holland@... wrote:

      > •Bolli segir þá: "Hvað er nú Snorri?
      > --Bolli says then "What is now Snorri"
      > --Bolli then asks "What is Snorri now?"

      That might actually be a possible translation in another
      context; I’m not sure. Here, though, it’s not possible:
      he’s talking to Snorri. The actual sense is ‘What is [this]
      now, Snorri?’ Snorri has just said that he thinks that
      dead-Bolli’s death has been adequately avenged and that it’s
      time to bring the feud to an end, and young Bolli is about
      to accuse him of changing his position.

      > •Halldór …bauð honum þar að vera.

      > --Halldór offered him to be (stay) there.

      This is <bjóða> Z3 'to bid, to invite'.

      > *Do you happen to know of any scandinavian cognates with
      > >tal< I only know >mál< as in >bøkmál< and >snakke< "talk"
      > and >Språk<, but then >tal< happens in dutch "taal". I
      > can't think of anything in German or English, either. Did
      > it just so happen that this was lost in all west germanic
      > languages except Dutch and all north germanic languages
      > except Icelandic? I don't know anywhere to look up
      > something like this.

      For the verb there are bokmål & nynorsk <tale> 'snakke',
      Danish <tale> 'speak, make a speech', and Swedish <tala>
      'speak', and German <zählen> and <zahlen>. For the noun,
      'number; speech, talk[ing]', Danish <tal> 'number' and
      <tale> 'speech', German <Zahl>, and Dutch <tal> 'number' and
      <taal> 'language, speech'. In English there are <to tell>
      and <tale>.

      > •…lýsir Snorri yfir erindum sínum….
      > --Snorri illuminates over his errand (dat)
      > --Snorri makes light of his purpose/business.

      This is <lýsa> Z4, where you’ll find the specific idiom
      <lýsa yfir e-u> 'to make something known': ‘Snorri makes his
      errand known’.