12924Re: [norse_course] Laxdaela Saga 70 part 1 -- Rob's Translation

    Jul 10, 2013
      > Hann var maður héraðríkur og málamaður mikill.

      > He was a man of influence in his district and a great
      > soldier.

      > He was a man of influence in the district and a man who
      > received great tribute.

      > He was a person (man) of-influence-in-his-district and a
      > great-taker-up(perer J) of suits (a most litigious person,
      > CV´s definition seems more appropriate than Z´s).

      After checking Baetke as well as Z and CV, I think that it
      really just means that he was skilled in the law, so that
      people often engaged him to assist them in bringing cases.

      > Voru þeir bræður miklir menn og hinir knálegstu og hafði
      > Bolli allt fyrir.

      > The brothers were great men and the most vigorous and
      > Bolli held all before (them).

      > Those brothers were tall men and the most hardy and Bolli
      > had it all over (them).

      > Those brothers were tall people (men) and the most-hardy
      > and (but) Bolli had everything before(first, was
      > pre-eminent in everything?, fyrir, Z.iii.2?).

      Yes, that’s the meaning, though I’m not sure that any of the
      senses in Z precisely matches it. I like Grace’s version,
      though it should be ‘over (him)’.

      > Þykir mér þetta hin mesta vorkunn að þig fýsi að kanna
      > siðu annarra manna því að eg vænti að þú þykir vaskur
      > maður hvar sem þú kemur með dugandi mönnum."

      > It seems to me this the most to be excused that you are
      > eager to search man's customs because I wanted that you be
      > thought of a manly man wherever you come with doughty
      > men."

      > This seems to me the greatest thing to be excused that you
      > are eager to learn customs of other people because I
      > expect that you seem a valiant man where as you come (in
      > contact) with worthy men.”

      > This seems to me the greatest thing-to-be-excused
      > (várkunn) that you would-desire (impersonal construction,
      > see e-n fýsir, Z1) to explore (the) customs of other
      > people (men) because I hope (or maybe expect?) that you
      > are-to-be-thought (to be) a valiant person (man) wherever
      > you come among doughty persons (men).”

      Another example of understatement: ‘I think this the
      greatest thing to be excused’ is clearly ‘I think this very
      natural/reasonable/understandable’. I’m not sure, but I
      think that <vænta> tends more towards the 'expect' end of
      the spectrum.

      > Þorleikur kvaðst ekki mundu hafa mikið fé "því að ósýnt er
      > hversu mér gætist til.

      > Thorleikr said for himself (he) would not have much money
      > "because not good at how to take care of (money).

      > Thorleik said he would not have much money, “because it is
      > unclear how I would like ? it.

      > Þorleikr declared-of-himself (that he) would not have
      > (take) much wealth (property, money) “because (it) is
      > uncertain (úsýnn) how (it) would-get-on for me (ie
      > impersonal construction, how I would be liked, getast, Z6)

      <Gætist> is from <gæta> 'to watch, take care of', <gæta til>
      'to mind, take care of'. I take this to be an impersonal
      construction with passive sense ,‘how it would be taken care
      of at me’, i.e., ‘how I would take care of it’.

      > Er eg ungur og í mörgu óráðinn."

      > I am young and unsettled in much."

      > I am young and not having made up my mind in some ways.”

      > I am young and wavering (úráðinn, inexperienced,
      > uncounselled?) in many respects (margr, Z1)

      I agree that Z’s glosses for <úráðinn> don’t work well here.
      One meaning of <ráðinn> is 'certain, sure'; 'unsure' would
      work well here, the underlying idea being something like
      'inexperienced'.

      > Síðan kaupir Þorkell í skipi ...

      > Thorkell then buys (does "í" denote a share of?) a ship

      > Then Thorkell buys a ship ...

      > After-that Þorkell buys into (ie buys a share in) a ship

      It’s interesting that ON has the same 'to buy into
      something = to buy a share of something' idiom as English.