      From: norse_course@yahoogroups.com [mailto:norse_course@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Edgar Widlund
      Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 10:39 AM
      To: norse_course@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [norse_course] Old Norse grammar

      Hi Alec,

      Thanks for your advice. From what you said made me remember how it was
      studying French
      which I am very familiar with.I even was able to pass a test in the
      army and was credited with a proficiency
      in french.Thanks again for your pointing me to the right perspective.

      Ed Widlund

      On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 2:21 AM, <CalecM@...> wrote:

      > ____________ _________ _________ __
      >
      > Ed
      >    Let me give you different perspective.  I've been
      studying ON for
      > something measurable in weeks.  However, it is far from my first
      foreign
      > language.  (French, Italian and Japanese).  You will not learn
      ON the same
      > as you would learn Swedish or Swahili.  You will not become
      "fluent" in it
      > because you will not use it as a communicative system with another human
      > being.  Rather, you will most likely sit in the middle of a pile of
      books
      > and laptops, which you will use to decode or decipher the text.  As
      time
      > goes on, you will rely on the reference materials less and less, as you
      > remember more and more.  But the ON language in your brain will
      consist
      > mostly of this.  It will not be connected to memories of personal,
      physical
      > experiences you have had.  It will lack the positive reinforcement of
      > successfully communicating with another human being.  (If you're
      familiar
      > with Piagetian Constructivist learning theory, this will make more sense.)
      > If you have studied other second languages, think back:  some of the
      > language you know best is tied to the moment you learned it.
      Somebody on a
      > bus, a key line in a movie, etc.  You're not likely to get that
      studying ON
      > texts.  Doesn't mean your experience won' t be fun,
      informative, successful,
      > satisfying-- but it will be different.
      >
      > One man's opinion--your mileage may vary!
      >
      >    Alec MacLean

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic