Merry Christmas from Nicaragua

  • jmmaes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2009
      Dear friends and collegues,

      Christmas time is always a good opportunity to send news and greetings.

      In the Entomological Museum of León, for the collegue entomologists, various publications are already ready to publish, mostly the longhorn catalogue of Nicaragua and a couple of works on butterflies of Nicaraguan Tropical Dry Forest. Lot of field work has made the time very short for lab work and publication writing. Juanita and Blas are working on the DataBase, up to now they have entered around 80,000 specimens actually available through IABIN and GBIF web pages. In addition to the butterflies study field trips, we had the pleasure to organize 3 field trips for international collegues, which gave us the opportunity of new contacts and friendship. The program of Field trips for 2010 is now available on our web site, in Field Trip section. For the institutions and friends with whom we have journal exchange, the Revista Nicaraguense de Entomología has a small editorial delay, 2008 and 2009 are to be print.

      In the Web page, we always have available the Virtual Library (focus on Nicaragua) and a Cultural Information Agenda.

      This year we have working strongest on Philately, getting many new exchanges and exchange friends and this way, lots of enveloppes and covers on insects and butterflies topic. First results can be appreciated on out Ento-Filatelia section of the web site, mostly the countries from A to C, that have been actualized up to the end of 2009. Any enveloppe with insect logo or illustration is of course still welcome.

      At the academic level, 2009 was a great year, with the formal born of the Nicaraguan Sciences Academy. We trust in 2010 as a consolidation of this new structure. All countacts with other Nations Sciences Academies are more than wecome.

      Back to Environment, our NGO ALAS, Alianza para las Areas Silvestres worked in 2009 mainly on Pine-oak forest conservation in the North of Nicaragua, Environment Education with primary and secondary schools in different Departments of the Pacific side of Nicaragua and the study of birds, mainly a couple of species, Dendroica chrysoparia and Vermivora chrysoptera. The new aliance signed between ALAS and APRONAD Costa Rica / Panamá result on a bi-national proposal of Marine Turtles conservation, that has been submitted to donors organisms in end of 2009 and for wich we hope good acceptation.

      Thanks to all friends who have made possible those initiatives. We wish to everybody a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2010, mostly a lot of happiness.

      Jean-Michel Maes
      jmmaes@...
      jmmaes@...
      www.bio-nica.info