Knitting Daily

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2010
      If you haven't signed up for Interweave's Knitting Daily check it out !

      Fair Isle Knitting: Weaving in Ends

      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F0429E:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&> Fresco Fair Isle Mitts
      by Pam Allen
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F0429E:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&>
      There are so many techniques to master when you're working on a Fair
      Isle project.

      You have to figure out how to manage two yarns. (I throw my contrasting
      color and pick my main color.)

      You have to keep your yarn balls from getting hopelessly tangled. (I
      keep one ball on the right and one of the left. I also like the Ziplock
      bag method where you seal each ball in a bag and thread the yarn through
      a snipped corner.)

      You have to keep even tension throughout the project without any of the
      dreaded puckering. (I've found the simplest way for me to avoid the
      pucker is to spread out the stitches on your right needle every inch or
      so. You don't have to spread them too far apart, just far enough to make
      sure your tension is even and not pulling too much in one color or the
      other.)

      When I was doing the Fresco Fair Isle Mitts knit-along, though, my
      biggest problem was all of the ends that were left hanging after the
      project was finished. Tons of them! It's actually pretty easy to sew in
      ends in Fair Isle projects because you have two layers of yarn to work
      with so you can sew the ends into the inner layer and they never show on
      the outer layer.

      But there's a way to weave in ends as you go so when you're done, you're
      done—after this in-line weaving method all you have to do is snip
      the ends so there's about a fourth of an inch hanging free.

      Knitting Daily TV host and Interweave Knits editor Eunny Jang is working
      on a really cool mitered scarf (which is available here
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F0429F:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&> ) and in the process she
      demonstrates how to change colors and weave in the tail of the previous
      color as you go (at about 2 minutes into the video). Take a look:

      [Weaving in ends]
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F042A0:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&> This method is also great to
      use to secure yarn when you need to carry it for more than four or five
      stitches. You can tack it down so there's not a really long float that
      might catch on fingers in mittens or gloves, or toes in socks.

      I weave-as-I-go all the time now. The process comes in handy any time I
      have to switch colors in a striping project, too. I've even woven in a
      tail when I've had to join a new ball in the middle of a row (not my
      favorite thing to do, but sometimes you just get caught short!).

      I hope you'll enjoy using this technique, and for even more tips and
      tricks for working Fair Isle, check out Eunny's Knitting Daily Workshop
      Introduction to Fair Isle: The Ivy League Vest
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F042A1:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&> .

      And please share your Fair Isle tips with me in the comments
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F042A2:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&> ! What makes these projects
      easier for you to manage?

      Cheers!

      Kathleen Cubley
      is the editor of
      Knitting Daily

      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F042A5:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&>

      [Fair Isle Pillows]
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F042A6:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&>

      More Knitting Daily [0] • Blogs
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F042A7:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&> • Galleries
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F042A8:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&> • Knitting Daily TV
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F042A9:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&> • Free Patterns
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F042AA:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&> • Join Knitting Daily
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F042AB:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&> • Share Your Comments
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F042AC:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&> Master the Art of
      Fair Isle Knitting with Eunny Jang's
      Introduction to Fair Isle: The Ivy League Vest DVD! [0]
      [Introduction to Fair Isle: The Ivy League Vest DVD]
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F042A1:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&> Knitting Daily Workshop
      Introduction to Fair Isle: The Ivy League Vest with Eunny Jang DVD
      ONLY $19.95!

      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=2037749&l=55023&ctl=2F042A1:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8690188F11F67CFCB4287C4BD31608365&>
      Work alongside master knitter Eunny Jang, editor of Interweave Knits and
      host of Knitting Daily TV, as she walks you through the process of
      multicolored Fair Isle knitwear in this video workshop.

      Jang uses her popular "Ivy League Vest" pattern, included as a free
      pattern download with purchase of this video, to demonstrate the many
      techniques associated with Fair Isle.

      This DVD includes step-by-step instruction as well as tips and secrets
      for:

      * Swatching for Fair Isle * Holding two yarns comfortably *
      How to maintain tension * How to introduce new colors into the
      pattern * Easy fixes for common mistakes * Casting on for a
      steek * And much, much more!

      Not only will you get these easy to follow lessons, but you will also
      learn about the history of colorwork in Fair Isle, the varying styles
      from other regions, and a look at the yarns and tools needed to
      successfully complete your Fair Isle projects.

      Introduction to Fair Isle: The Ivy League Vest anticipates the questions
      you may have about this traditional technique and makes the process of
      learning Fair Isle easy and fun.

      Don't just take it from us! Here's what others have to say about the DVD
      as well—

      "There are lots of helpful tips in here–the one for casting on with
      two colors is practically worth the price of the video–and it takes
      a lot of the "scare" out of colorwork and steeks. There's so
      much information in here, in fact, I need to watch it again. Off hand, I
      can't think of a fair isle topic that she did not touch on. It
      really is a great introduction.