Re: Historic knitting

  • mcrolden
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2010
      I did post pictures of my "historic knitting", a Swedish heartwarmer. I understand that I am wearing it backwards. Oh well. The photos are under Christina O.
      Christina

      --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "farmerkarin59" <loweosborn@...> wrote:

      > Could you post a picture in the photo section here in the "Swedish Knitting" folder ? I'd love to see it !
      >

      > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "mcrolden" <mcrolden@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I would like to know something about the history of a piece of antique Swedish knitting which I inherited from my father's family. It is a type of wrap around shawl which has ties at the ends to keep it fastened.
      > >
      > > It is knitted in a tan color wool. The stitch looks like a tuck stitch on the right side and a garter stitch on the wrong side. It is edged with what looks to me like nålbinding in a black and red pattern. The outer edge is done in nålbinding in the tan color of the garment. Perhaps the knit stitch is in tvåänd stickning?
      > >
      > > I would guess this might have been knitted about 1870 give or take twenty years probably in Småland. It had many holes in it which were mended many years ago.
      > >
      > > Could you help me find out something about the origin of this garment? If you wish I could send a picture.
      > >
      > > Tack så mycket!
      > > Christina Oldenburg

    • spicema59
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2010
        I am of the opinion that if "you knit it, you can wear it how you like"! For backwards, it still looks good!

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2010
          I asked a very experienced fiber arts person about it and this is what she had to say.

          "It is possible that the entire shawl is crocheted. The V pattern looks like Tunisian crochet "corded stitch". The Harmony Guides, vol 6 p. 96. "

          --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "mcrolden" <mcrolden@...> wrote:

          > I did post pictures of my "historic knitting", a Swedish heartwarmer. I understand that I am wearing it backwards. Oh well. The photos are under Christina O.
          > Christina
          >
          > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "farmerkarin59" <loweosborn@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Could you post a picture in the photo section here in the "Swedish Knitting" folder ? I'd love to see it !
          > >

          > > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "mcrolden" <mcrolden@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I would like to know something about the history of a piece of antique Swedish knitting which I inherited from my father's family. It is a type of wrap around shawl which has ties at the ends to keep it fastened.
          > > >
          > > > It is knitted in a tan color wool. The stitch looks like a tuck stitch on the right side and a garter stitch on the wrong side. It is edged with what looks to me like nålbinding in a black and red pattern. The outer edge is done in nålbinding in the tan color of the garment. Perhaps the knit stitch is in tvåänd stickning?
          > > >
          > > > I would guess this might have been knitted about 1870 give or take twenty years probably in Småland. It had many holes in it which were mended many years ago.
          > > >
          > > > Could you help me find out something about the origin of this garment? If you wish I could send a picture.
          > > >
          > > > Tack så mycket!
          > > > Christina Oldenburg

        • Barbro Wilhelmsson
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 6, 2010
            I do not think this is crochet, I think it is a special way of knitting with
            just knitted stitches and yarn over - no purling. I have made a pattern for
            a potholder with this type of knitting.

            I have posted pictures in the album.

            / Barbro

            _____