SV: [nordicknitters] Re: Historic knitting

  • Barbro Wilhelmsson
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2010
      I am sorry the last message was not supposed to go to this list it was a
      message for Christina, please delete it!

      The shawl is knitted used an old interesting stitch and the edging is in
      crochet.

      / Barbro

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2010
        I did post pictures of my "historic knitting", a Swedish heartwarmer. I understand that I am wearing it backwards. Oh well. The photos are under Christina O.
        Christina

        --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "farmerkarin59" <loweosborn@...> wrote:

        > Could you post a picture in the photo section here in the "Swedish Knitting" folder ? I'd love to see it !
        >

        > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "mcrolden" <mcrolden@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I would like to know something about the history of a piece of antique Swedish knitting which I inherited from my father's family. It is a type of wrap around shawl which has ties at the ends to keep it fastened.
        > >
        > > It is knitted in a tan color wool. The stitch looks like a tuck stitch on the right side and a garter stitch on the wrong side. It is edged with what looks to me like nålbinding in a black and red pattern. The outer edge is done in nålbinding in the tan color of the garment. Perhaps the knit stitch is in tvåänd stickning?
        > >
        > > I would guess this might have been knitted about 1870 give or take twenty years probably in Småland. It had many holes in it which were mended many years ago.
        > >
        > > Could you help me find out something about the origin of this garment? If you wish I could send a picture.
        > >
        > > Tack så mycket!
        > > Christina Oldenburg

      • spicema59
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2010
          I am of the opinion that if "you knit it, you can wear it how you like"! For backwards, it still looks good!

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2010
            I asked a very experienced fiber arts person about it and this is what she had to say.

            "It is possible that the entire shawl is crocheted. The V pattern looks like Tunisian crochet "corded stitch". The Harmony Guides, vol 6 p. 96. "

            --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "mcrolden" <mcrolden@...> wrote:

            > I did post pictures of my "historic knitting", a Swedish heartwarmer. I understand that I am wearing it backwards. Oh well. The photos are under Christina O.
            > Christina
            >
            > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "farmerkarin59" <loweosborn@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Could you post a picture in the photo section here in the "Swedish Knitting" folder ? I'd love to see it !
            > >

            > > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "mcrolden" <mcrolden@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I would like to know something about the history of a piece of antique Swedish knitting which I inherited from my father's family. It is a type of wrap around shawl which has ties at the ends to keep it fastened.
            > > >
            > > > It is knitted in a tan color wool. The stitch looks like a tuck stitch on the right side and a garter stitch on the wrong side. It is edged with what looks to me like nålbinding in a black and red pattern. The outer edge is done in nålbinding in the tan color of the garment. Perhaps the knit stitch is in tvåänd stickning?
            > > >
            > > > I would guess this might have been knitted about 1870 give or take twenty years probably in Småland. It had many holes in it which were mended many years ago.
            > > >
            > > > Could you help me find out something about the origin of this garment? If you wish I could send a picture.
            > > >
            > > > Tack så mycket!
            > > > Christina Oldenburg

          • Barbro Wilhelmsson
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 6, 2010
              I do not think this is crochet, I think it is a special way of knitting with
              just knitted stitches and yarn over - no purling. I have made a pattern for
              a potholder with this type of knitting.

              I have posted pictures in the album.

              / Barbro

              _____