Historic knitting

  • mcrolden
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
      I would like to know something about the history of a piece of antique Swedish knitting which I inherited from my father's family. It is a type of wrap around shawl which has ties at the ends to keep it fastened.

      It is knitted in a tan color wool. The stitch looks like a tuck stitch on the right side and a garter stitch on the wrong side. It is edged with what looks to me like nålbinding in a black and red pattern. The outer edge is done in nålbinding in the tan color of the garment. Perhaps the knit stitch is in tvåänd stickning?

      I would guess this might have been knitted about 1870 give or take twenty years probably in Småland. It had many holes in it which were mended many years ago.

      Could you help me find out something about the origin of this garment? If you wish I could send a picture.

      Tack så mycket!
      Christina Oldenburg
    • Candace Brown
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
        Hello Christina,
        This is fascinating. I hope you will send a photo so we can all see it. If no one in the group can answer your question you might consider sending a photo and inquiry to a museum in Sweden or even to Pieceworks magazine, which is about historical needlework. In any case, it must be something with a great story behind it, to have been treasured, carefully mended and preserved all these years. Wouldn't you love to know who made it and when? Thank you for sharing this intriguing mystery.

        Good Luck,
        Candace

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
          Could you post a picture in the photo section here in the "Swedish Knitting" folder ? I'd love to see it !

          --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "mcrolden" <mcrolden@...> wrote:

          > I would like to know something about the history of a piece of antique Swedish knitting which I inherited from my father's family. It is a type of wrap around shawl which has ties at the ends to keep it fastened.
          >
          > It is knitted in a tan color wool. The stitch looks like a tuck stitch on the right side and a garter stitch on the wrong side. It is edged with what looks to me like nålbinding in a black and red pattern. The outer edge is done in nålbinding in the tan color of the garment. Perhaps the knit stitch is in tvåänd stickning?
          >
          > I would guess this might have been knitted about 1870 give or take twenty years probably in Småland. It had many holes in it which were mended many years ago.
          >
          > Could you help me find out something about the origin of this garment? If you wish I could send a picture.
          >
          > Tack så mycket!
          > Christina Oldenburg

        • mcrolden
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2010
            Thanks for your interest!
            I'll try to post some photos -
            Christina

            --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, Candace Brown <wordworshiper@...> wrote:

            > Hello Christina,
            > This is fascinating. I hope you will send a photo so we can all see it. If no one in the group can answer your question you might consider sending a photo and inquiry to a museum in Sweden or even to Pieceworks magazine, which is about historical needlework. In any case, it must be something with a great story behind it, to have been treasured, carefully mended and preserved all these years. Wouldn't you love to know who made it and when? Thank you for sharing this intriguing mystery.
            >
            > Good Luck,
            > Candace
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Barbro Wilhelmsson
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4, 2010
              I am sorry the last message was not supposed to go to this list it was a
              message for Christina, please delete it!

              The shawl is knitted used an old interesting stitch and the edging is in
              crochet.

              / Barbro

              _____

              > This is fascinating. I hope you will send a photo so we can all see it. If
              no one in the group can answer your question you might consider sending a
              photo and inquiry to a museum in Sweden or even to Pieceworks magazine,
              which is about historical needlework. In any case, it must be something with
              a great story behind it, to have been treasured, carefully mended and
              preserved all these years. Wouldn't you love to know who made it and when?
              Thank you for sharing this intriguing mystery.

              > Good Luck,
              > Candace
              >

              > ________________________________

            • mcrolden
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4, 2010
                I did post pictures of my "historic knitting", a Swedish heartwarmer. I understand that I am wearing it backwards. Oh well. The photos are under Christina O.
                Christina

                --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "farmerkarin59" <loweosborn@...> wrote:

                > Could you post a picture in the photo section here in the "Swedish Knitting" folder ? I'd love to see it !
                >

                > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "mcrolden" <mcrolden@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I would like to know something about the history of a piece of antique Swedish knitting which I inherited from my father's family. It is a type of wrap around shawl which has ties at the ends to keep it fastened.
                > >
                > > It is knitted in a tan color wool. The stitch looks like a tuck stitch on the right side and a garter stitch on the wrong side. It is edged with what looks to me like nålbinding in a black and red pattern. The outer edge is done in nålbinding in the tan color of the garment. Perhaps the knit stitch is in tvåänd stickning?
                > >
                > > I would guess this might have been knitted about 1870 give or take twenty years probably in Småland. It had many holes in it which were mended many years ago.
                > >
                > > Could you help me find out something about the origin of this garment? If you wish I could send a picture.
                > >
                > > Tack så mycket!
                > > Christina Oldenburg

              • spicema59
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 5, 2010
                  I am of the opinion that if "you knit it, you can wear it how you like"! For backwards, it still looks good!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 5, 2010
                    I asked a very experienced fiber arts person about it and this is what she had to say.

                    "It is possible that the entire shawl is crocheted. The V pattern looks like Tunisian crochet "corded stitch". The Harmony Guides, vol 6 p. 96. "

                    --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "mcrolden" <mcrolden@...> wrote:

                    > I did post pictures of my "historic knitting", a Swedish heartwarmer. I understand that I am wearing it backwards. Oh well. The photos are under Christina O.
                    > Christina
                    >
                    > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "farmerkarin59" <loweosborn@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Could you post a picture in the photo section here in the "Swedish Knitting" folder ? I'd love to see it !
                    > >

                    > > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "mcrolden" <mcrolden@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I would like to know something about the history of a piece of antique Swedish knitting which I inherited from my father's family. It is a type of wrap around shawl which has ties at the ends to keep it fastened.
                    > > >
                    > > > It is knitted in a tan color wool. The stitch looks like a tuck stitch on the right side and a garter stitch on the wrong side. It is edged with what looks to me like nålbinding in a black and red pattern. The outer edge is done in nålbinding in the tan color of the garment. Perhaps the knit stitch is in tvåänd stickning?
                    > > >
                    > > > I would guess this might have been knitted about 1870 give or take twenty years probably in Småland. It had many holes in it which were mended many years ago.
                    > > >
                    > > > Could you help me find out something about the origin of this garment? If you wish I could send a picture.
                    > > >
                    > > > Tack så mycket!
                    > > > Christina Oldenburg

                  • Barbro Wilhelmsson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2010
                      I do not think this is crochet, I think it is a special way of knitting with
                      just knitted stitches and yarn over - no purling. I have made a pattern for
                      a potholder with this type of knitting.

                      I have posted pictures in the album.

                      / Barbro

                      _____