Re: Save the Dates - Fair Isle Workshop

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2010
      This is an example of Elizabeth Johnston's work
      <http://www.shetland-handknits.co.uk/jarl.html>

      "Takkin' your makkin'"

      Fair Isle Knitting from Shetland

      Dates: May 21-23, 2010

      Times: 9am - 12 noon & 1pm - 4pm

      Location: Nordic Heritage Museum, Seattle, WA

      Cost: $290 - Information to be posted soon on the website.

      Questions

      Wendy Sundquist 360-221-7721 wendy@...
      <mailto:wendy@...>

      or Stina Cowan 206-789-5707 ext. 21 stinac@...
      <mailto:stinac@...>

      Introduction/Course Description:

      Fair Isle, a Shetland Island, away in the North Sea above Scotland
      boasts of birds, wind, sheep and a well-known knitting style. The
      knitting style involves carrying only two colors per row but
      combinations can be startling and bright, or subtle and shaded. Pattern
      repeats are distinctive from their Nordic, Turkish or South American
      cousins.

      The traditional knitting style involves lots of cups of tea and the use
      of a sheath and long knitting "pins" or needles (but we can use
      any style we like.) Historically, most Fair Isle knitting (hosiery,
      jumpers, all overs, gloves, mits, night caps, berets, etc.) was done on
      mainland Shetland because more knitters were needed to meet product
      demand. These knitters are the fastest in the world and have a long
      history.

      Our time together will start with samples to get the technique firmly
      "in hand". Topics of study and discussion will include:
      Corrugated ribbing, two color or stranded knitting, choosing colors for
      combining, pattern layout, traditional garment construction, cutting
      your knitting, using a sheath and long knitting needles, designing a
      garment to fit, washing and blocking. If time allows we will run a
      "rainbow" dyepot for fast "Faux Fair Isle".

      Please note: Students must be competent knitters, comfortable using
      circular or double pointed needles for circular knitting.

      > For more information contact Wendy below. Class information on the
      Fair Knitting class will go up soon on the museum website