Save the Dates -Shetland Spinning and Fair Isle Workshops

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2010
      For more information contact Wendy below. Class information on the Fair Knitting class will go up soon on the museum website

      Shetland Knitting & Spinning Classes

      Traditional Shetland Spinning & Lace Knitting
      May 14-16, 2010
      Whidbey Island, WA

      "Takkin' your makkin'" - Fair Isle
      Knitting From Shetland
      May 21-23, 2010
      Nordic Heritage Museum, Seattle, WA

      Both classes will be taught by Elizabeth
      Johnston of Shetland, Scotland and Martha
      Owen of North Carolina. Elizabeth, a spinner &
      knitter, is the former owner of the Spiders Web in
      Lerwick, Shetland, was part of the living history
      team at Scatness on Shetland and has taught
      throughout the UK, Europe and the US. Martha is
      the resident artist in spinning/knitting/dyeing at
      the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC,
      co-owner of the Yarn Circle (a fiber shop), a
      member of the Southern Highland Craft Guild and
      a shepherd.

      For more information contact:
      Wendy Sundquist
      wendy@...
      360.221.7721
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 29, 2010
        This is an example of Elizabeth Johnston's work
        <http://www.shetland-handknits.co.uk/jarl.html>

        "Takkin' your makkin'"

        Fair Isle Knitting from Shetland

        Dates: May 21-23, 2010

        Times: 9am - 12 noon & 1pm - 4pm

        Location: Nordic Heritage Museum, Seattle, WA

        Cost: $290 - Information to be posted soon on the website.

        Questions

        Wendy Sundquist 360-221-7721 wendy@...
        <mailto:wendy@...>

        or Stina Cowan 206-789-5707 ext. 21 stinac@...
        <mailto:stinac@...>

        Introduction/Course Description:

        Fair Isle, a Shetland Island, away in the North Sea above Scotland
        boasts of birds, wind, sheep and a well-known knitting style. The
        knitting style involves carrying only two colors per row but
        combinations can be startling and bright, or subtle and shaded. Pattern
        repeats are distinctive from their Nordic, Turkish or South American
        cousins.

        The traditional knitting style involves lots of cups of tea and the use
        of a sheath and long knitting "pins" or needles (but we can use
        any style we like.) Historically, most Fair Isle knitting (hosiery,
        jumpers, all overs, gloves, mits, night caps, berets, etc.) was done on
        mainland Shetland because more knitters were needed to meet product
        demand. These knitters are the fastest in the world and have a long
        history.

        Our time together will start with samples to get the technique firmly
        "in hand". Topics of study and discussion will include:
        Corrugated ribbing, two color or stranded knitting, choosing colors for
        combining, pattern layout, traditional garment construction, cutting
        your knitting, using a sheath and long knitting needles, designing a
        garment to fit, washing and blocking. If time allows we will run a
        "rainbow" dyepot for fast "Faux Fair Isle".

        Please note: Students must be competent knitters, comfortable using
        circular or double pointed needles for circular knitting.