Spin Off

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2010
      This issue sounds fabulous !!

      Knitting Traditions

      I'll never forget my first encounter with Richard Rutt's wonderful book,
      The History of Handknitting. I was attending the Frankfurt Book Fair for
      the first time and was pretty [0]
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=1928697&l=70165&ctl=2D2904A:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8B70F0A1D06DE7257B619E5D9368D54D6&> overwhelmed by its vastness,
      variety, verbal hubbub (and my lack of German and stolen passport, but
      that's another story).

      The British publisher of Bishop Rutt's book gave me a set of unbound
      galleys. "Do you think you might want to publish this in North America?"
      he asked. Well, I took it back to my teeny little hotel room and stayed
      up all night reading every word. Hyperventilating. That book, which we
      did indeed publish, spawned an interest in historical and traditional
      knitting that has not abated.

      And that brings me to PieceWork
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=1928697&l=70165&ctl=2D2904B:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8B70F0A1D06DE7257B619E5D9368D54D6&> magazine. We launched it in
      1993, predicating it on exploring the history, traditions, folkways, and
      personal stories associated with traditional textile crafts. Knitting
      has always had a big presence in it, from the very first issue with its
      reproduction Medieval relic bag (that would be for saints' bones)
      knitted from fine colorful silk and copied from a painting of a knitting
      Madonna. We've featured sock patterns from around the world and over at
      least two centuries; lace shawls from northern climes; dear little baby
      garments that might have been worn by your great-great grandfather. Oh,
      and so much more.

      [0]
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=1928697&l=70165&ctl=2D2904C:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8B70F0A1D06DE7257B619E5D9368D54D6&> [0]
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=1928697&l=70165&ctl=2D2904D:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8B70F0A1D06DE7257B619E5D9368D54D6&> The interesting thing to
      contemplate is that the originals of all these splendid knitted items
      were made of handspun yarn. We have translated them into contemporary
      millspun yarns for the magazine, but think how rich and exquisite the
      real things would have been with that special human touch in the yarns.

      Since most of the back issues of this 1seventeen-year-old magazine are
      long out of print, we have collected forty-some of our favorite knitting
      projects from the past into a wonderful collection that will go on the
      newsstands in February. It's called Knitting Traditions
      <http://e1.interweave.com/t?r=1893&c=1928697&l=70165&ctl=2D2904A:C61EC4F\
      F05E933B8B70F0A1D06DE7257B619E5D9368D54D6&> , and you'll be able to find
      it at your local yarn shop or chain bookstore—or you can preorder a
      copy now so you'll be sure not to miss it. I challenge you—pick a
      pattern, ignore the commercial yarn specifications, spin your own. What
      a treasure.

      —Linda