Piecework Historical Knitting Issue

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2010
      In case you haven't seen it already this issue is out. I love this
      magazine !

      Historical Knitting: A Trip through Time in the New Issue of PieceWork

      [0] [Spacer 10x10 pixels] Miss Money's Fly's Body pattern with
      knitted in cotton. Photograph courtesy of
      June Hall
      A note from Kathleen: I'm a history-phile. I love the History Channel;
      the most recent thing I watched was a two-hour program called "Russia:
      Land of the Tsars." Heaven! (And "The Tudors"? Enough said.) I also love
      a historical mystery and the occasional romance—Outlander, anyone?
      That's why I'm crazy about this issue of PieceWork. It's full of
      fascinating, historical information about our first love: knitting! When
      I got the issue, I sat down with a cup of coffee and read it from cover
      to cover. I know you'll love it, too.

      Here's editor Jeane Hutchins to show you what this issue of PieceWork
      has to offer, so prepare your hot beverage of choice and relax with some
      knitting history!

      Knitting through Time

      I think I lead a charmed life as the editor of PieceWork! The
      January/February 2010 issue, our 4th annual Historical Knitting issue,
      is a case in point.

      In the spring of 2008, Donna Druchunas, a frequent contributor, stopped
      by the office to introduce me to June Hall from England. June, an avid
      knitter, historian, author, and keeper of a flock of rare Soay sheep,
      shared the handwritten instructions for and tiny samples of lace-knitted
      edgings and insertions that she found in a copy of a nineteenth-century
      pattern book.

      [Spacer 10x10 pixels] [0] [Spacer 10x10 pixels] Nancy Bush's
      unusually-shaped mitts.
      Photograph by Joe Coca

      Since the writing matched the inscription on the book's flyleaf (dated
      1847), the instructions surely were penned by the owner of the book,
      Miss Money. The page with the intriguingly named Fly's Body pattern with
      its intriguing symbols and sample is above. June deciphered the symbols
      and shares them, along with several of the other patterns and her quest
      to find information on Miss Money.

      Laurann Gilbertson, textile curator at Vesterheim Norwegian-American
      Museum in Decorah, Iowa, sent a 1944 book about traditional Norwegian
      handcoverings to Nancy Bush (well-known author, designer, teacher, and a
      member of our editorial advisory panel). Among the objects depicted in
      the book was a knitted "offering" mitt. As soon as I saw the photograph,
      I knew Nancy's version of these unusually shaped mitts would be perfect
      (they're shown at right). In her article, Nancy explains the practical
      reason for their unusual shape.

      [0] [Spacer 10x10 pixels] Detail of Barbara G. Walker's Diamond
      Basketweave pattern. Photograph by Joe Coca

      I learned that Barbara G. Walker, knitting legend and author of the
      beloved Treasury of Knitting Patterns books, was going to the 2009 Sock
      Summit with Schoolhouse Press owner Meg Swansen (also a member of our
      editorial advisory panel).

      I instantly called Meg and asked her to please "introduce me" to
      Barbara, and let her know that I would be thrilled to have her
      contribute to a future issue of PieceWork.

      My phone rang one day, and it was Barbara Walker—I could barely get
      a coherent word out—all I could think about was "Oh my, I'm talking
      to Barbara Walker!" A never-before-published Barbara Walker stitch
      pattern is included in this issue (it's our cover and a detail is shown
      at left).

      Definitely charmed, don't you think? And these are only three examples!
      To see all (including Donna Druchunas's very compelling article,
      "Knitting in Jewish Lithuania")