Swedish Knits/New Twists on Twined Knitting

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2009
      Another heads up on a book - To me this is highly deceptive because of
      it's title Swedish Knits
      <http://www.amazon.com/Swedish-Knits-Classic-Scandinavian-Tradition/dp/1\
      602397244/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252345286&sr=8-1> Classic
      and Modern Designs in the Scandinavian Tradition . I was excited to
      order this due to it's title but after receiving it was stunned to find
      it is mainly a how to book. Read the reviews on Amazon. I pre-ordered
      this so at the time there weren't any.

      I also got New Twists on Twined Knitting
      <http://www.amazon.com/New-Twists-Twined-Knitting-Traditional/dp/1564778\
      703/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252345738&sr=1-1> which has a
      number of patterns using s-plied yarns. There is only a tiny bit about
      the history of this technique and no mention of z-plied and what happens
      when you use one over the other that I can see. Reviews on Amazon and
      Ravelry are favorable.

      Has anyone else seen or bought these books ?

    • Casey
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2009
        I also pre-ordered Swedish Knits and had the same reaction, Karin.
        Extremely disappointed. 80% of book is a "how to" with a very small
        selection of basic patterns and only 1 Swedish pattern - a Bohus pullover.
        There are also a couple of Norwegian patterns in the book, which I thought
        was interesting.

        Nothing new, I was sorry to see. The book is lovely - well laid out and
        nice photography. I am just not sure why its called Swedish Knits other
        than the fact the authors are Swedish.

        I guess I was really hoping for "Swedish Knits" to be something like a cross
        between a Bohus book and "Swedish Sweaters" by Britt-Marie Christoffersson.

        Casey