Re: Norwegian Handknits

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2009
      To me it is a very lovely book, but you are correct that the extended patterns based off "Ruth's" knitting are pretty mundane. In this publication the authors chose to design their patterns from beginner to advanced, limiting the space for detailed sweater patterns. The Voss sweaters at the end are impressive though. The wimple does look "chunky" and some of the headbands really leave something to be desired. The ski socks, hats, mittens, and felted embroidered purses are inspiring to me. While some of the pillow patterns are quite lovely, such as the "Foolish Virgins", it is irritating that they included a stereotypical Viking ship pillow. Why ?
      Perhaps if the authors chose to do another book they could exclusively include sweater patterns from the museum's collection. It's more than likely that there is at least one sweater that has some unique design that is normally not seen.
      There are many publication dedicated to traditional Norwegian sweater patterns, so to me, it is nice to have one which mainly provides smaller projects.

      I really regret having bought my copy off Amazon to save a few bucks. I should have purchased it thru the museum website. It is so important to provide support to this museum, the Nordic Heritage Museum, and any others who help preserve this heritage and inspire us to learn more about these traditions. Despite it's small weakneses, I am quite happy to have added this book to my Nordic knitting collection.