Re: [nordicknitters] Re: Norwegian Handknits

  • Jessica Drennan
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2009
      Hi, I just got my copy as well. I can see why loweosborn liked it since
      it's a lovely looking book with a nice theme, photos and articles but
      overall I still found it disappointing. There are only two sweater
      patterns given and I was expecting around twenty. There are plenty of
      socks, mittens, bags, and pillow patterns, but I it wasn't enough to
      satisfy me. I thought the patterns given, especially the whimple and the
      Sami sweater, were a bit clunky looking and could have been designed a bit
      nicer for a more sophisticated look. I think the most egregious thing of
      the book is the first chapter which has patterns for a hat, mittens, shawl
      etc; all based on the same repeating pattern of small garter stitch
      ridges. The whole chapter consists of this silly pattern! If any of them
      were free on Ravelry, I wouldn't have downloaded any of them, but to make a
      whole chapter seemed like such a wasted opportunity.

      So if you're into a nice history of Vesterheim, this is a good book. If
      you're more interested in Norwegian sweater patterns, well, not really. I
      probably would have forked over the $18 on Amazon anyway but just a heads
      up if you have your hopes up high like I did.

      Jessica

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2009
        --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Drennan <jld13@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2009
          To me it is a very lovely book, but you are correct that the extended patterns based off "Ruth's" knitting are pretty mundane. In this publication the authors chose to design their patterns from beginner to advanced, limiting the space for detailed sweater patterns. The Voss sweaters at the end are impressive though. The wimple does look "chunky" and some of the headbands really leave something to be desired. The ski socks, hats, mittens, and felted embroidered purses are inspiring to me. While some of the pillow patterns are quite lovely, such as the "Foolish Virgins", it is irritating that they included a stereotypical Viking ship pillow. Why ?
          Perhaps if the authors chose to do another book they could exclusively include sweater patterns from the museum's collection. It's more than likely that there is at least one sweater that has some unique design that is normally not seen.
          There are many publication dedicated to traditional Norwegian sweater patterns, so to me, it is nice to have one which mainly provides smaller projects.

          I really regret having bought my copy off Amazon to save a few bucks. I should have purchased it thru the museum website. It is so important to provide support to this museum, the Nordic Heritage Museum, and any others who help preserve this heritage and inspire us to learn more about these traditions. Despite it's small weakneses, I am quite happy to have added this book to my Nordic knitting collection.