exchanging patterns

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 29, 2006
      I was asked by a fellow Nordic Knitter to point out that making copies
      of printed materials and handing them out,no matter how well
      intentioned, is a copyright violation and Yahoo could shut us down.
      Sorry.

      Karin
      Moderator
    • solveigpeck
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 29, 2006
        Good advise, especially in the rather tight knitting community. I have
        explored the possibility of copyrighting some of my styles but the cost
        is prohibitive unless you are full-time designer. In light of that,
        printing and distribution would depend on whether the material is in
        fact copyrighted. Just a thought.

        Solveig

      • anita_ev@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 29, 2006
          I have been knitting almost all my life but most of my material are in Norwegian. I am neeting everything
          I hope i can come to the next meeting
          Anita Einarsen-Vinberg
          From: "loweosborn" <loweosborn@...>
          > I was asked by a fellow Nordic Knitter to point out that making copies
          > of printed materials and handing them out,no matter how well
          > intentioned, is a copyright violation and Yahoo could shut us down.
          > Sorry.
          >
          > Karin
          > Moderator

        • Marianne Kuokkanen
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 29, 2006
            Hi,

            you don't have to do anything to get your material copyrighted. Once you
            create it, you have the copyright to it.
            Maybe you're talking about something else?

            Marianne in Finland
            http://ekebodesign.eu

            > Good advise, especially in the rather tight knitting community. I have
            > explored the possibility of copyrighting some of my styles but the cost
            > is prohibitive unless you are full-time designer. In light of that,
            > printing and distribution would depend on whether the material is in
            > fact copyrighted. Just a thought.
            >
            > Solveig
            >
            > - making copies of printed materials and handing them out,no matter how
            > well intentioned, is a copyright violation and Yahoo could shut us
            > down.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Terri Shea
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 29, 2006
              In most of the world, the simple act of writing or drawing or
              putting the idea to paper copyrights it. It copyrights the writtten
              expression of the idea, that is, not the idea itself. Ideas can't be
              copywrited, that would be a patent, and it's a whole different thing.

              All you really need to do is put the copyright notice (C) 2006 Your
              Name. All Rights Reserved.

              Some countries allow you to register a copyright, which might be
              what the gal in Finland (sorry, I"m bad with names) was referring to.

              terri the knitting designer

              --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Kuokkanen
              <mariannekfi@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > you don't have to do anything to get your material copyrighted.
              Once you
              > create it, you have the copyright to it.
              > Maybe you're talking about something else?
              >
              > Marianne in Finland
              > http://ekebodesign.eu
              >

              > > Good advise, especially in the rather tight knitting community.
              I have
              > > explored the possibility of copyrighting some of my styles but
              the cost
              > > is prohibitive unless you are full-time designer. In light of
              that,
              > > printing and distribution would depend on whether the material
              is in
              > > fact copyrighted. Just a thought.
              > >
              > > Solveig
              > >
              > > - making copies of printed materials and handing them out,no
              matter how
              > > well intentioned, is a copyright violation and Yahoo could shut
              us
              > > down.
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Barbara Mason
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 29, 2006
                This is correct, as an artist and designer you automatically own the copyright...you can apply for one very cheaply every year on what you have done, so the cost should not stop you, you can do it yourself for a design copyright.
                barbara

                Marianne Kuokkanen <mariannekfi@...> wrote:
                Hi,

                you don't have to do anything to get your material copyrighted. Once you
                create it, you have the copyright to it.
                Maybe you're talking about something else?

                Marianne in Finland
                http://ekebodesign. eu

                > Good advise, especially in the rather tight knitting community. I have
                > explored the possibility of copyrighting some of my styles but the cost
                > is prohibitive unless you are full-time designer. In light of that,
                > printing and distribution would depend on whether the material is in
                > fact copyrighted. Just a thought.
                >
                > Solveig
                >
                > - making copies of printed materials and handing them out,no matter how
                > well intentioned, is a copyright violation and Yahoo could shut us
                > down.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Marianne Kuokkanen
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 29, 2006
                  Hi again,

                  in Finland you can register the pattern motif only to get it protected.
                  That costs, and it has to be of high enough artistic quality.

                  But a work is copyrighted as soon as it's on paper, like Terri said.
                  That's what I meant.

                  Marianne, the gal in Finland :-)
                  another knitting designer

                  > In most of the world, the simple act of writing or drawing or
                  > putting the idea to paper copyrights it. It copyrights the writtten
                  > expression of the idea, that is, not the idea itself. Ideas can't be
                  > copywrited, that would be a patent, and it's a whole different thing.
                  >
                  > All you really need to do is put the copyright notice (C) 2006 Your
                  > Name. All Rights Reserved.
                  >
                  > Some countries allow you to register a copyright, which might be
                  > what the gal in Finland (sorry, I"m bad with names) was referring to.
                  >
                  > terri the knitting designer
                  >

                  > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Kuokkanen
                  > <mariannekfi@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hi,
                  >>
                  >> you don't have to do anything to get your material copyrighted.
                  >>
                  > Once you
                  >
                  >> create it, you have the copyright to it.
                  >> Maybe you're talking about something else?
                  >>
                  >> Marianne in Finland
                  >> http://ekebodesign.eu
                  >>

                  >>> Good advise, especially in the rather tight knitting community.
                  >>>
                  > I have
                  >
                  >>> explored the possibility of copyrighting some of my styles but
                  >>>
                  > the cost
                  >
                  >>> is prohibitive unless you are full-time designer. In light of
                  >>>
                  > that,
                  >
                  >>> printing and distribution would depend on whether the material
                  >>>
                  > is in
                  >
                  >>> fact copyrighted. Just a thought.
                  >>>
                  >>> Solveig
                  >>>
                  >>> - making copies of printed materials and handing them out,no
                  >>>
                  > matter how
                  >
                  >>> well intentioned, is a copyright violation and Yahoo could shut
                  >>>
                  > us
                  >
                  >>> down.
                  >>>

                  >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • solveigpeck
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 29, 2006
                    --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Mason
                    <barbaramason45@...> wrote:

                    > This is correct, as an artist and designer you automatically own the
                    copyright...you can apply for one very cheaply every year on what you
                    have done, so the cost should not stop you, you can do it yourself for
                    a design copyright.
                    > barbara

                    Thanks, Bararbara and Marianne -
                    Looks like I was given some misinformation - maybe from a lawyer :-)
                    Solveig
                  • Kathleen Gumbleton
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 30, 2006
                      Thats my understanding too Marianne.  I've been told that simply writing "copyright" on your material is sufficient.  I guess I have to rescind my offer of providing copies of the Christmas elves.  I'm so sorry.  I wouldn't want to do anything that might cause yahoo to shut down the group.  I hadn't thought about copyright problems, thanks for pointing that out Karin.  I think anyone can order a copy of a back issue from Marie Claire for the pattern.

                      Kathy
                      US