Latvian mitten class Nordic Heritage Museum

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2009
      The museum is in the process of setting up a Latvian mitten workshop for Sept. 11-13th. Information has not been posted yet on their website.
      The 68 pairs of mittens that were on display during the Latvian's in Washington State exhibit were a great impetus to set up this course.
      Mary Germain and Sandy DeMaster from Wisconsin will be teaching these classes. They have traveled to Latvia and worked with several prominent Latvian knitters. They have also published several booklets on the subject which they will bring with. They will also be speaking at the Seattle Knitters Guild right before. Please PM me at loweosborn @ yahoo.com if this is of interest to you. Thank you. Karin

      A Distorted View of Cuffs

      Twisted, skewed, angled, deformed, or warped. Try something out of the ordinary on your next sock, mitten, or sweater. Learn lots of unique cuffs, and then pick one as a focal point for your next knitting project. Some of these edgings are worked in one color using an unusual combination of stitches to produce a spiraling fabric. Others use two (or more) colors to fashion a fabric with a slanted look. Others are worked with multiple colors and uncommon techniques yielding extraordinary results. We're a little biased; but we think you should try this class. Double-point needles and 2-color knitting experience required.

      Latvian Mittens

      Lined mittens are the ultimate cold weather protection for hands. Mary and Sandy refer to these lined mittens as "Mittens à la Irma" since they are the signature of their Latvian friend, Irma Ciganovich, who grew up in Zemgale, the coldest region of Latvia. Learn all of the techniques involved in knitting a beautiful pair of multi-colored lined mittens by knitting an ornament-size mitten (approx. 2 ½ x 4 ½") during the workshop. This class will include a presentation of ancient symbols used as design elements in Latvian textiles and special tips for making the lining, working a hem with a picot edge, inserting the thumb, and shaping the slightly pointed thumb and mitten top. The class will conclude with a summary of the design considerations and techniques needed to create your own full-size Latvian mittens. Open to those who know how to knit circularly with double pointed needles and have two-color knitting experience.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2009
        I forgot to say that the Distorted View of Cuffs is a one day class and the Latvian mittens a two day class.
        Thanks, Karin

        --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "Karin" <loweosborn@...> wrote:

        > The museum is in the process of setting up a Latvian mitten workshop for Sept. 11-13th. Information has not been posted yet on their website.
        > The 68 pairs of mittens that were on display during the Latvian's in Washington State exhibit were a great impetus to set up this course.
        > Mary Germain and Sandy DeMaster from Wisconsin will be teaching these classes. They have traveled to Latvia and worked with several prominent Latvian knitters. They have also published several booklets on the subject which they will bring with. They will also be speaking at the Seattle Knitters Guild right before. Please PM me at loweosborn @ yahoo.com if this is of interest to you. Thank you. Karin
        >
        > A Distorted View of Cuffs
        >
        > Twisted, skewed, angled, deformed, or warped. Try something out of the ordinary on your next sock, mitten, or sweater. Learn lots of unique cuffs, and then pick one as a focal point for your next knitting project. Some of these edgings are worked in one color using an unusual combination of stitches to produce a spiraling fabric. Others use two (or more) colors to fashion a fabric with a slanted look. Others are worked with multiple colors and uncommon techniques yielding extraordinary results. We're a little biased; but we think you should try this class. Double-point needles and 2-color knitting experience required.
        >
        > Latvian Mittens
        >
        > Lined mittens are the ultimate cold weather protection for hands. Mary and Sandy refer to these lined mittens as "Mittens à la Irma" since they are the signature of their Latvian friend, Irma Ciganovich, who grew up in Zemgale, the coldest region of Latvia. Learn all of the techniques involved in knitting a beautiful pair of multi-colored lined mittens by knitting an ornament-size mitten (approx. 2 ½ x 4 ½") during the workshop. This class will include a presentation of ancient symbols used as design elements in Latvian textiles and special tips for making the lining, working a hem with a picot edge, inserting the thumb, and shaping the slightly pointed thumb and mitten top. The class will conclude with a summary of the design considerations and techniques needed to create your own full-size Latvian mittens. Open to those who know how to knit circularly with double pointed needles and have two-color knitting experience.

      • Chris Taylor
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 26, 2009
          Thanks for letting me know, [ I'm kinda tempted!]

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2009
            Just a few more facts about the workshop

            A Distorted View of Cuffs
            Friday Sept.11th
            6 hrs $75

            Latvian Mittens
            Sept. 12th-13th
            12 hours $150

            Registration forms will go up on the museum website soon.
            If you want to be added to the list before it does please contact
            Charlotte Lehman
            charlotte@...
            206-789-5707 ext. 21

            She works Monday-Wednesday

            Sandy DeMaster and Mary Germain will also be speaking at the September Seattle Knitters Guild meeting.

            I'm really looking forward to this !