Re: Bohus Knitting DVD

  • povwjj
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2009
      More about the Bohus exhibit... There is a 52-page full color exhibit booklet available
      from the American Swedish Institute, in which there are new interviews with Kerstin Olsson
      (one of the original Bohus designers), Solveig Gustafsson (Bohus Stickning knitting kit
      creator), Kjell Andersson (filmmaker whose film you have described below); and Susanna
      Hansson (Bohus Stickning teacher). The booklet is full of photographs--new and vintage-
      -of Bohus garments, and includes information on garment construction and the current
      Bohus knitting community. The American Swedish Institute also has a set of 6 blank art
      cards & envelopes with new color photos of vintage Bohus garments on the covers. You
      can find out more about these items and get more exhibit details at the ASI website:
      www.americanswedishinst.org. Be sure to check out the slide show on the Bohus page!

      The exhibit will be on display until March 29th and may be extended until April 5th. This
      is the first time since the 1964 World's Fair that Bohus Stickning garments have been on
      display in the U.S. It's well worth a trip to Minneapolis. Many people have already made the
      trek from far-reaching locations!

      --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "Karin" <loweosborn@...> wrote:

      > Was just looking at the Schoolhouse Press website and saw this ! Bohus
      > Knitting DVD From Relief Work to World Success
      > A Swedish film company has just released a new DVD: Bohus Knitting -
      > From Relief Work to World Success. It is devoted to the history of the
      > halcyon 30-year period in the annals of hand knitting when women in
      > Sweden's Bohuslän banded together to form a cottage industry and
      > ended up producing world famous works of knitted art in the form of
      > sweaters, hats, gloves, mittens and scarves. The DVD is beautifully done
      > (with an English voice-over and sub-titles). I found it very moving to
      > learn about individual women who had worked so hard to help their
      > families, and to see the extraordinarily beautiful knitting they
      > produced.
      >
      > 58 minutes, $25.00
      >
      > Special Offer: Order the book Poems of Color and the Bohus Knitting DVD
      > together for a 20% discount.
      >
      > Note: A stellar Bohus Knitting exhibit is running at the American
      > Swedish Institute in Minneapolis through 29 March, 2009. And, Meg
      > Swansen's article for the next issue of Vogue Knitting magazine will be
      > devoted to this subject.

    • mcrolden
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2009
        I have a sad little tale about Bohus knitting. I first went to Sweden in 1965. I had saved up
        extra money to buy a rya rug kit - I knew exactly which one I wanted. I found it and bought
        it. (I made it, it's been hanging in our home ever since and I don't really regret having done
        that.)

        However at about the same time I "discovered" Bohus knitting! I didn't have any extra money
        to buy one, but I adored them all! The next time I went to Sweden (1971) I planned to buy a
        Bohus sweater, at any price! Too late! They were no longer being made and apparently were
        not available anywhere. Since then I have just had to admire them from afar.

        I do have a friend however who actually owns and wears one! She inherited it from her
        mother. How fortunate she is.

        I wish I lived near Minneapolis so I could see the Bohus exhibit. Instead I'm in Northern
        California. I have the book Poems of Color. Maybe the DVD would be a good addition to my
        knitting library!
        Christina Oldenburg
      • janetcharbonnier@att.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2009
          The DVD would be a wonderful addition to your library. You can go to the American Swedish Institutes web site and order it. There is also a book available about the history of Bohus authored by Wendy J. Johnson and Susanna Hansson. It is initially because of these two women meeting that the exhibit came to be. The photography is beautiful and the interviews are great.

          Janet Charbonnier

          -------------- Original message from "mcrolden" <mcrolden@...>: --------------