RE: [nordicknitters] Starlight Hotel for conference?

  • Roberta Lord
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 15, 2008
      I don't think this is a good place to stay. I only saw one review for it online and it wasn't positive - it's more of a flop house than an actual hotel.

      There are hotels in the University district that aren't too bad and even some at the edge of downtown.

      Holiday Inn isn't bad and the #17 buss goes from the hotel to close to the Nordic Heritage Museum. http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/seasc?_requestid=740673

    • J E Boles
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 15, 2008
        Joyce Boles wrote:

        Roberta, you are absolutely correct about the Starlight.  I finally go through on the phone, and the guy said it is "not a reservation type hotel" and he did not know if he would have a room in March.  This does not bode well. It also has no web page at all.

        I looked at the Holiday Inn.  I am familiar with this chain, and it is too rich for my blood.  They wanted $125 to $134 per night, plus tax.  So I went back to the drawing boards.

        I googled "motels near 3014 NW 67th St. Seattle WA," and got a list of ten motels.  I just called the Marco Polo on Aurora Ave. N.  They are on a bus line connecting to a line that goes to the museum, and they have a continental breakfast, and a microwave and refrigerator in the room.  And they offered $200 for three nights, prepaid, for senior citizens.  This is more my speed.  I am sure it is not up to the standards of the Holiday Inn, however. But I am not impressed with fancy details in a lodging house.

        The Marco Polo sounds like the sort of place where I would not leave my laptop in the room, but I would be otherwise safe and contented to sleep there..

        Anyone in Seattle have a comment on this?  The other choices were the Chelsea Station on the Park, the Everspring Inn, Green Lake Motel, Wallingford Inn, M & S Magnolia Co., Travelodge (they did not answer their phone this evening), and the Aurora Seafair Inn.   They all have such lovely romantic names!  I will never forgive myself if I don't call all of them to be sure.

        I know Seattle is a beautiful city, and as a native northwesterner I know any lodging place there is OK, in fact, or the cops would have shut it down.  But it is still a seaport city, subject to all those evils!

        I don't think this is a good place to stay. I only saw one review for it online and it wasn't positive - it's more of a flop house than an actual hotel.

        There are hotels in the University district that aren't too bad and even some at the edge of downtown.

        Holiday Inn isn't bad and the #17 buss goes from the hotel to close to the Nordic Heritage Museum. http://www.ichotels group.com/ h/d/hi/1/ en/hotel/ seasc?_requestid =740673

        http://windowslive. com/Explore/ hotmail?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_ acq_anywhere_ 122008

      • Kemper, Kathy

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 15, 2008
            It's interesting to read reviews for some of these places and get such
            wildly different experiences ! The Green Lake Motel is a big no !!
            Aurora Ave makes me nervous as that is not the best area in town.
            They've tried to clean it up over the years but still.
            Will keep looking.
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 15, 2008
              Wallingford Inn is another big no !

              --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "Karin" <loweosborn@...> wrote:

              > It's interesting to read reviews for some of these places and get
              such
              > wildly different experiences ! The Green Lake Motel is a big no !!
              > Aurora Ave makes me nervous as that is not the best area in town.
              > They've tried to clean it up over the years but still.
              > Will keep looking.

            • Roberta Lord
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 15, 2008
                Marco Polo is kind of dicey. Everspring might not be bad, plus you can get to the Museum with only one bus transfer. I don't know if it's affordable. I hate paying for hotel rooms by myself!

                The Chelsea and Magnolia places look like houses - I'm not sure if they're B&Bs or what. If it sounds legit when you call, the Chelsea might not be bad.

                Good luck! I'm only taking one class and it's on Sunday afternoon. I'm going to try and volunteer.

                Roberta

                http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/127032869/direct/01/

              • J E Boles
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 15, 2008
                  Joyce Boles wrote:

                  This is great information, Roberta!  I am so glad to have someone reporting on these things!  I will make some more calls tomorrow to see what's up.