Starlight Hotel for conference?

  • jeboles
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
      I plan to attend the March conference at the Nordic Museum. Today I
      found a small hotel near the museum that is on a bus line that makes a
      direct route, almost to the museum. This would be the Starlight Hotel
      on Ballard Ave. Then I found a great online brochure talking about
      Old Ballard and all the historic buildings. It looks really cool!

      Does anyone know anything about this hotel? Is it OK?

      I was going to send them a check in advance, if anyone knows about the
      hotel.

      Train fare from Portland is only about $50 round trip. That should be
      fun, too.
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
        Hi,

        I was trying to research the hotel but couldn't find much. Did you find
        a website ? I wrote one of the Conference coordinators to see if she
        knows anything about it. Will let you know when I hear. Karin

        --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "jeboles" <jeboles@...> wrote:

        > I plan to attend the March conference at the Nordic Museum. Today I
        > found a small hotel near the museum that is on a bus line that makes a
        > direct route, almost to the museum. This would be the Starlight Hotel
        > on Ballard Ave. Then I found a great online brochure talking about
        > Old Ballard and all the historic buildings. It looks really cool!
        >
        > Does anyone know anything about this hotel? Is it OK?
        >
        > I was going to send them a check in advance, if anyone knows about the
        > hotel.
        >

        > Train fare from Portland is only about $50 round trip. That should be
        > fun, too.

      • J E Boles
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
          Boles:

          I did not find a website, but they are definitely on the internet with an address and phone, at 5300 Ballard Ave. NW.  206-784-8304.

          I will call them tomorrow and see that is up.  Thanks so much for your effort.

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 15, 2008
            If you want me to stop by there and scope it out I'd be happy to do
            that. Let me know what you find out. I'm pretty curious !
            The Fremont/Wallingford area is a pretty fun place which might have
            hotels or B&Bs on a bus line.

            Karin

            --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, J E Boles <jeboles@...> wrote:

            > Boles:
            >

            > I did not find a website, but they are definitely on the internet
            with an address and phone, at 5300 Ballard Ave. NW.  206-784-8304.

            > I will call them tomorrow and see that is up.  Thanks so much for
            your effort.

          • J E Boles
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 15, 2008
              Joyce wrote:

              That would be lovely, but please, wait until after this ice and snow has melted so you will be safe.

              I tried to get through by phone this morning to that hotel, but the lines were blocked with fast busy signals.

              I saw those other lodging places over on Fremont and thereabouts on the internet, but the bus service is not as good.  If this Starlight Hotel is anything at all, at this point I prefer it.

              Amazingly enough these days, most cities have all their bus services online, as well as all their lodging places.  A stranger can figure things out in advance, and it is wonderful.

              wrote:

              > > I plan to attend the March conference at the Nordic Museum.

              Today I

              > > found a small hotel near the museum that is on a bus line that

              makes a

              > > direct route, almost to the museum. This would be the Starlight

              Hotel

              > > on Ballard Ave. Then I found a great online brochure talking

              about

              > > Old Ballard and all the historic buildings. It looks really cool!

              > > Does anyone know anything about this hotel? Is it OK?

              > > I was going to send them a check in advance, if anyone knows

              about the

              > > hotel.

              > > Train fare from Portland is only about $50 round trip. That

              should be

              > > fun, too.

            • Roberta Lord
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 15, 2008
                I don't think this is a good place to stay. I only saw one review for it online and it wasn't positive - it's more of a flop house than an actual hotel.

                There are hotels in the University district that aren't too bad and even some at the edge of downtown.

                Holiday Inn isn't bad and the #17 buss goes from the hotel to close to the Nordic Heritage Museum. http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/seasc?_requestid=740673

              • J E Boles
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 15, 2008
                  Joyce Boles wrote:

                  Roberta, you are absolutely correct about the Starlight.  I finally go through on the phone, and the guy said it is "not a reservation type hotel" and he did not know if he would have a room in March.  This does not bode well. It also has no web page at all.

                  I looked at the Holiday Inn.  I am familiar with this chain, and it is too rich for my blood.  They wanted $125 to $134 per night, plus tax.  So I went back to the drawing boards.

                  I googled "motels near 3014 NW 67th St. Seattle WA," and got a list of ten motels.  I just called the Marco Polo on Aurora Ave. N.  They are on a bus line connecting to a line that goes to the museum, and they have a continental breakfast, and a microwave and refrigerator in the room.  And they offered $200 for three nights, prepaid, for senior citizens.  This is more my speed.  I am sure it is not up to the standards of the Holiday Inn, however. But I am not impressed with fancy details in a lodging house.

                  The Marco Polo sounds like the sort of place where I would not leave my laptop in the room, but I would be otherwise safe and contented to sleep there..

                  Anyone in Seattle have a comment on this?  The other choices were the Chelsea Station on the Park, the Everspring Inn, Green Lake Motel, Wallingford Inn, M & S Magnolia Co., Travelodge (they did not answer their phone this evening), and the Aurora Seafair Inn.   They all have such lovely romantic names!  I will never forgive myself if I don't call all of them to be sure.

                  I know Seattle is a beautiful city, and as a native northwesterner I know any lodging place there is OK, in fact, or the cops would have shut it down.  But it is still a seaport city, subject to all those evils!

                  I don't think this is a good place to stay. I only saw one review for it online and it wasn't positive - it's more of a flop house than an actual hotel.

                  There are hotels in the University district that aren't too bad and even some at the edge of downtown.

                  Holiday Inn isn't bad and the #17 buss goes from the hotel to close to the Nordic Heritage Museum. http://www.ichotels group.com/ h/d/hi/1/ en/hotel/ seasc?_requestid =740673

                  http://windowslive. com/Explore/ hotmail?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_ acq_anywhere_ 122008

                • Kemper, Kathy

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 15, 2008
                      It's interesting to read reviews for some of these places and get such
                      wildly different experiences ! The Green Lake Motel is a big no !!
                      Aurora Ave makes me nervous as that is not the best area in town.
                      They've tried to clean it up over the years but still.
                      Will keep looking.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 15, 2008
                        Wallingford Inn is another big no !

                        --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "Karin" <loweosborn@...> wrote:

                        > It's interesting to read reviews for some of these places and get
                        such
                        > wildly different experiences ! The Green Lake Motel is a big no !!
                        > Aurora Ave makes me nervous as that is not the best area in town.
                        > They've tried to clean it up over the years but still.
                        > Will keep looking.

                      • Roberta Lord
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 15, 2008
                          Marco Polo is kind of dicey. Everspring might not be bad, plus you can get to the Museum with only one bus transfer. I don't know if it's affordable. I hate paying for hotel rooms by myself!

                          The Chelsea and Magnolia places look like houses - I'm not sure if they're B&Bs or what. If it sounds legit when you call, the Chelsea might not be bad.

                          Good luck! I'm only taking one class and it's on Sunday afternoon. I'm going to try and volunteer.

                          Roberta

                          http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/127032869/direct/01/

                        • J E Boles
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 15, 2008
                            Joyce Boles wrote:

                            This is great information, Roberta!  I am so glad to have someone reporting on these things!  I will make some more calls tomorrow to see what's up.