Re: Holiday gift ideas

  • Katie
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2006
      I found the English version! (I didn't scroll down far enough on
      her English language site on the link for free patterns).

      PDF: http://www.viv.dk/Patterns/EDownloads/ENISSERI.pdf

      Thanks, this is so cute! Marie Claire Idees, December '04 edition
      has a similiar pattern for a hand sewn cloth elf (boy and girl).
      I'll put a photo up on my blog in case you want to see them. The
      knitted ones are so precious.

      Does anyone have a story to share on how these dolls are part of the
      Christmas celebration in Scandinavian cultures?

      Kathy

      --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "loweosborn" <loweosborn@...>

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 2006
        Katie would you like to put your blog in our links section ? Would be
        fun to see !

        This is what was on Vivian's web site about Nisser

        " About the Danish NISSE

        The NISSE as we know him today has been known for about 150 years.

        Normally he is a nice little fellow with a red pointed cap. But the
        old NISSE who lived on the farms in the countryside could be a
        teaser. If you forgot to feed him rice porridge for Christmas, he
        would then make the beer sour and might even burn down the farm.
        However, if you treated him well he protected the farm and the people
        who lived there.

        In Denmark we are still very fond of our NISSER, We place them all
        over during Christmas and in many homes the custom is for the
        children to place a bowl of rice porridge for their NISSE on
        Christmas Eve. "

        Karin

        -- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "Katie "
        <kathleengumbleton@...> wrote:

        > I found the English version! (I didn't scroll down far enough on
        > her English language site on the link for free patterns).
        >
        > PDF: http://www.viv.dk/Patterns/EDownloads/ENISSERI.pdf
        >
        > Thanks, this is so cute! Marie Claire Idees, December '04 edition
        > has a similiar pattern for a hand sewn cloth elf (boy and girl).
        > I'll put a photo up on my blog in case you want to see them. The
        > knitted ones are so precious.
        >
        > Does anyone have a story to share on how these dolls are part of
        the
        > Christmas celebration in Scandinavian cultures?
        >
        > Kathy
        >
        > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "loweosborn" <loweosborn@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Vivian Hoxbro's web site has a free pattern for Danish Nisse
        > (elves)
        > > Could be fun to create a whole family !
        > >
        > > Most people have seen these wonderful books but for those of you
        > that
        > > haven't here they are. They include some Nordic patterns to try.
        > >
        > > "Folk Socks" by Nancy Bush
        > > "Folk Shawls" by Cheryl Oberle
        > > "Folk Mittens" by Marcia Lewandowski
        > > "Hats On !" by Charlene Schurch
        > > "Homespun Handknit" edited by Linda Ligon
        > >
        > > Karin

      • Katie
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 28, 2006
          Karin,
          I submitted my blog to the link list but I'll leave it here as well
          for the pictures of the Marie Claire Christmas elves:

          http://www.quilters-cafe.org

          If anyone would like a copy of the pattern, please feel free to email
          me and I'll send you a copy as an email attachment (PDF).

          Kathy
        • Sonja Myklebust
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2006

            Hi Kathy,

            I would love a copy of the pattern.  Thanks so much in advance,

            Sonja J