Holiday gift ideas

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 25, 2006
      Vivian Hoxbro's web site has a free pattern for Danish Nisse (elves)
      Could be fun to create a whole family !

      Most people have seen these wonderful books but for those of you that
      haven't here they are. They include some Nordic patterns to try.

      "Folk Socks" by Nancy Bush
      "Folk Shawls" by Cheryl Oberle
      "Folk Mittens" by Marcia Lewandowski
      "Hats On !" by Charlene Schurch
      "Homespun Handknit" edited by Linda Ligon

      Karin
    • Kathleen Gumbleton
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 26, 2006
        Karin, I found the link to the elf pattern (below).  Do you know if she has an English language version?

        Kathy

      • Katie
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 26, 2006
          I found the English version! (I didn't scroll down far enough on
          her English language site on the link for free patterns).

          PDF: http://www.viv.dk/Patterns/EDownloads/ENISSERI.pdf

          Thanks, this is so cute! Marie Claire Idees, December '04 edition
          has a similiar pattern for a hand sewn cloth elf (boy and girl).
          I'll put a photo up on my blog in case you want to see them. The
          knitted ones are so precious.

          Does anyone have a story to share on how these dolls are part of the
          Christmas celebration in Scandinavian cultures?

          Kathy

          --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "loweosborn" <loweosborn@...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2006
            Katie would you like to put your blog in our links section ? Would be
            fun to see !

            This is what was on Vivian's web site about Nisser

            " About the Danish NISSE

            The NISSE as we know him today has been known for about 150 years.

            Normally he is a nice little fellow with a red pointed cap. But the
            old NISSE who lived on the farms in the countryside could be a
            teaser. If you forgot to feed him rice porridge for Christmas, he
            would then make the beer sour and might even burn down the farm.
            However, if you treated him well he protected the farm and the people
            who lived there.

            In Denmark we are still very fond of our NISSER, We place them all
            over during Christmas and in many homes the custom is for the
            children to place a bowl of rice porridge for their NISSE on
            Christmas Eve. "

            Karin

            -- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "Katie "
            <kathleengumbleton@...> wrote:

            > I found the English version! (I didn't scroll down far enough on
            > her English language site on the link for free patterns).
            >
            > PDF: http://www.viv.dk/Patterns/EDownloads/ENISSERI.pdf
            >
            > Thanks, this is so cute! Marie Claire Idees, December '04 edition
            > has a similiar pattern for a hand sewn cloth elf (boy and girl).
            > I'll put a photo up on my blog in case you want to see them. The
            > knitted ones are so precious.
            >
            > Does anyone have a story to share on how these dolls are part of
            the
            > Christmas celebration in Scandinavian cultures?
            >
            > Kathy
            >
            > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "loweosborn" <loweosborn@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Vivian Hoxbro's web site has a free pattern for Danish Nisse
            > (elves)
            > > Could be fun to create a whole family !
            > >
            > > Most people have seen these wonderful books but for those of you
            > that
            > > haven't here they are. They include some Nordic patterns to try.
            > >
            > > "Folk Socks" by Nancy Bush
            > > "Folk Shawls" by Cheryl Oberle
            > > "Folk Mittens" by Marcia Lewandowski
            > > "Hats On !" by Charlene Schurch
            > > "Homespun Handknit" edited by Linda Ligon
            > >
            > > Karin

          • Katie
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 28, 2006
              Karin,
              I submitted my blog to the link list but I'll leave it here as well
              for the pictures of the Marie Claire Christmas elves:

              http://www.quilters-cafe.org

              If anyone would like a copy of the pattern, please feel free to email
              me and I'll send you a copy as an email attachment (PDF).

              Kathy
            • Sonja Myklebust
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 28, 2006

                Hi Kathy,

                I would love a copy of the pattern.  Thanks so much in advance,

                Sonja J