Lithuanian knitting

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
      Hi Donna,

      Welcome to the group ! Could you write about the online Lithuanian
      knitting class you are offering and any other traditions related to this
      ? That would be great !

      Check out the pictures on her blog !
      Sheeptoshawl.com <http://www.sheeptoshawl.com/blog/europe.php>

    • Donna
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2008
        Hi Karen, thanks. I will write soon. I just came back from the doctor and I might have a
        kidney stone so needless to say I am not feeling very well right now. I just took some pain
        meds and am waiting to hear about having tests scheduled.

        Donna

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2008
          Hi Everyone,

          I just wanted to say hi and give you a little info about the knitting in Lithuania. I spent the
          summer in Vilnius and traveling around the country, mostly to visit museums and
          collections of knitting. It was amazing. The knitting in Lithuania is mostly -- at least
          historically -- small accessories including socks, mittens, gloves, and wrist warmers. The
          rest of the national costume, that is the outfits that most people wore in the 19th century
          and earlier, was made out of woven fabric and laces made with other techniques. There
          was some crochet as well, including really ugly knitted house shoes. :-)

          In winter, knitted items were made from wool, and for summer wear linen was used. The
          linen was used in its natural color and wool was dyed with plant dyes. The knitting
          techniques used here are similar to what you find in Latvia and Estonia, as are some of the
          colorwork designs. But there are also unique colorwork patterns, particularly of floral
          motifs. The Lithuanian empire once stretched all the way to the Black Sea, so you find
          influences ranging from Scandinavian to Turkish in the knitting designs. In addition to
          colorwork, knitted lace was also popular, especially for summer gloves and stockings.

          I found several old Lithuanian knitting books on my trip and they include some really
          interesting techniques for shaping toes and heels and mitten fingertips, many of which I
          have never seen before. There are several groups around Lithuania that specialize in
          reproducing the national costume garments for singing groups (and whoever wants to
          pay!), including the knitted items. The wrist warmers and lace socks are the most popular
          now, because the outfits are often worn in summer for outdoor concerts, and mittens and
          thick wool socks would just be too much on top of the layers and layers of clothes!

          Today's yarn shops are mostly filled with Italian yarns and patterns from Russia and
          Germany. Linen weaving yarn/thread is available in linen shops, but I only found one shop
          that carried linen (blend) yarn that was heavy enough for knitting. There are a couple of
          knitting mills in Lithuania, but they mostly spin merino imported from New Zealand, even
          though there are two breeds of Lithuanian sheep that are rare and have unusual fleece.
          The farmers just throw that wool away. I see a business opportunity!

          That's it for now. I'd love to share more if you have any questions, and I'll also be writing
          some article and a book about this soon, so much more will be forthcoming. I tried to post
          some photos, but I can't get on my network drive where they are stored right now, so I
          will try again later.

          Donna
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 10, 2008
            Wow, thanks for all the information. I didn't really know anything
            about their knitting traditions. Will be great to see your book in
            the future.