Sivers School of Fiber Arts - Washington Island, WI

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2008

      The 2008 class list just went up. These are a few of the classes they offer. I went three years ago for a week of Scandinavian knitting and LOVED it !!

      June 1-6 Knitting & Crochet From Finland Carol Huebscher Rhoades Finnish woolens often feature distinctive colors, motifs and special techniques.  During the week we will study the history and practice the techniques for Korsnäs (knitting and crochet in one garment), Rya (yarn shag on the inside), and Rovaniemi mittens (multicolor texture knitting on the front only of circularly knitting).  In addition, we'll explore several old and new color motif traditions.  You'll have a choice of Finnish yarns for the small items (wrist warmers, bags, mittens) that you'll knit and crochet, and will also learn how to read a simple Finnish knitting pattern.  Materials fee of approx. $40-50 for yarns, handouts and patterns.  Intermediate to advanced knitting skills needed (familiarity with knitting on double-pointed needles and with 2 colors); beginner crochet skills or beyond.

      June 29-July 2 For The Love Of Fair Isle Knitting: Corrugated Ribs, Steeks & Other Techniques
      Sandy De Master Learn the traditional techniques for constructing a Fair Isle sweater:  the "corrugated" ribbing, how to make and cut (yes, cut!) armhole and neck steeks, and various other construction and finishing steps.  You will knit a small "teddy bear" sweater of 2-ply fingering-weight Shetland yarn, using circular and double-pointed needles, which will allow you to complete the sweater during class.  The class will conclude with the necessary design considerations for making a full-sized sweater or cardigan.  Materials fee of $10 for handbook and approx. $10 for `Jamieson & Smith' Shetland yarn to knit your class project.  You must know how to knit circularly with double-point needles and have 2-color knitting experience.

      http://www.sieversschool.com/pages/3classes_K.html#Anchor-58500

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2008
        Sorry, it's Sievers School of Fiber Arts !