Re: Sami knitters

  • akv3
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2008
      --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "sapetn" wrote:
      Sue mentioned Sami knitting./ Is there more information as
      technique and/or where it can be learned? Any and all would be
      wonderful.
      ---
      Tuulia's expert answer covered pretty much everything, but since I
      happen to own a Finnish book on Lapland patterns, I thought it's at
      least worth mentioning as a reference. "Lapin malleja punomaan ja
      neulomaan" by Irma Veriö, ISBN 951-1-00760-2, published in 1974, 75
      pages.

      The book is mainly in black and white and it contains simple
      knitting patterns as well as traditional Sami braids. (Or how would
      you translate 'pirtanauha'? It's a simple weaving method, producing
      narrow ornamental ribbons. Does heddle weaving or inkle weaving ring
      a bell?)

      The author hints that the Sami patterns distinguish from other
      Lapland patterns but doesn't elaborate on that. The knitting
      patterns are relatively simple and do not compare to traditional
      Fair Isle or Norwegian sweaters. The author says that she has tried
      to find smallish patterns which can be combined or repeated if one
      wants to knit something more substantial. A rough translation from
      the book: "While the Sami haven't knitted any large garments, the
      patterns of their colourful mittens can be used for decorating
      woollen caps, sweaters and dresses."

      The Finns amongst us might appreciate the following
      sentence: "Yksimittaisen puvun helmassa kaunis raita antaa puvulle
      sen omaperäisen leiman, jota ei voi olla tehdasvalmisteisessa
      puvussa. Jokaisella on näin mahdollisuus suunnitella itselleen
      saamelaistyyppinen asu, varsinkin urheiluasuina ne ovat asiallisia,
      tyylikkäitä ja niistä saa yksilöllisiä."

      If anyone is interested in this book, I could keep my eyes peeled
      whenever visiting second-hand bookshops but obviously can't promise
      instant results.

      AnneV