Sirkka Kononen

  • Sandy De Master
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2006

      Hello all,

      Yes, that Setesdal sweater certainly is beautiful!

      Also, I am wondering who Sirkka Kononen is.  Karin, you posted a picture of one of her designs in your photo album.

      Thanks,

      Sandy in Wisconsin

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 10, 2006
        Hi Sandy,
        I learned about Sirkka from Carol. She is an artist and knitwear
        designer not a knitter per se. There is a book about her which I
        bought from Sirkka herself. I don't think you can find it in the
        States. I tried thru the library system and they found a copy thru
        the Library of Congress ! I hope we can have it at the Museum gift
        shop in the future.
        She has a shop. She doesn't have a web site as she wants to remain
        small. The pictures on the group site are from that book.
        The patterns aren't available for those. They are offered as handknit
        items for sale in her shop. There are kits for some of her desins
        offered thru a company whose link is on the Groups links page. These
        don't have as much detail as the designs in her book though. The
        website is in Finnish only but they are soon adding English.
        She is coming for the Nordic Knitting Conference. I think she will be
        doing classes and/or lectures on color/design.
        I love the way she uses color. Some of her designs just knock my
        socks off ! I wish that the designs I really love were available as
        patterns !
        Karin

        nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy De Master" <weecroft@...>