Finnish Mittens / Mary Olki

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2007
      http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=olki&y=10&x=77

      I just looked on Abebooks.com and they have some copies by Ms. Olki

      Karin

      --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Kuokkanen
      <mariannekfi@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > It could be just a striped rib, or it could have a twisted border.
      Some
      > mittens have colorwork on a widening cuff and fringes. Some have
      yarn
      > ends on the inside for warmth. I've seen mittens like that lately
      on the
      > web. Latvian mittens are more decorative than Finnish. I have a
      book by
      > Mary Olki that I've loved to bits. I'm sorry my scanner doesn't
      work.
      > I'm also sorry there's so few pictures of them on the Internet.
      Here are
      > some:
      > http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/mittens/
      > http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/seiskarimitten/ Seiskari is an
      island

      http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/2006/12/the_second_rosebud_mitten_is_
      f.html
      > http://www.libraries.fi/en-GB/ask_librarian/question.aspx?
      questionID=547fa626-6afd-4b3d-9844-0a46d37b1f06

      > The Yarn Harlot seems to have written a post about the Lapland
      mitten or
      > Rovaniemi mitten. It's a mitten done in Intarsia though nowadays
      they
      > just knit a plain white mitten and Swiss embroider (imitate
      stitches)
      > the zigzag motifs afterwards.

      http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2007/02/01/the_mittens_of_rovan
      iemi.html
      > The blue book to the left is the book I mentioned, the other one
      not
      > about Finnish mittens:
      > http://vuodatus-static.web-effect.net/g/1235/440856.jpg the
      original
      > Rovaniemi mitten is on the cover. This is a typical Sami colorway.
      The
      > Sami are the original people of Lapland, who herd reindeer and
      dress up
      > in very colorful clothes.
      >
      > Mary Olki published a lot of textile crafts books in the 40's and
      50's,
      > and many of them were republished in the 70's (many printings too),
      but
      > since then she seems to have been forgotten. She did a lot of
      research
      > in museums and presented very much traditional work.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Marianne in Finland
      > off to the sauna to cure my flu
      > http://ekebodesign.eu/blog/
      >
      > > What would be a more traditional cuff on a Finnish mitten? Would
      it
      > > be a more decorative cuff such as the Latvian mitten?

    • Sandy De Master
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 23, 2007

        Thanks Marianne and Karin for all the help.  Marianne, I have e-mailed you privately to see if you could help me locate a couple of books!

        Sandy in Wisconsin