Re: [nordicknitters] Re: Finnish Mitten Link

  • Marianne Kuokkanen
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2007
      Hi,

      It could be just a striped rib, or it could have a twisted border. Some
      mittens have colorwork on a widening cuff and fringes. Some have yarn
      ends on the inside for warmth. I've seen mittens like that lately on the
      web. Latvian mittens are more decorative than Finnish. I have a book by
      Mary Olki that I've loved to bits. I'm sorry my scanner doesn't work.
      I'm also sorry there's so few pictures of them on the Internet. Here are
      some:
      http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/mittens/
      http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/seiskarimitten/ Seiskari is an island
      http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/2006/12/the_second_rosebud_mitten_is_f.html
      http://www.libraries.fi/en-GB/ask_librarian/question.aspx?questionID=547fa626-6afd-4b3d-9844-0a46d37b1f06

      The Yarn Harlot seems to have written a post about the Lapland mitten or
      Rovaniemi mitten. It's a mitten done in Intarsia though nowadays they
      just knit a plain white mitten and Swiss embroider (imitate stitches)
      the zigzag motifs afterwards.
      http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2007/02/01/the_mittens_of_rovaniemi.html
      The blue book to the left is the book I mentioned, the other one not
      about Finnish mittens:
      http://vuodatus-static.web-effect.net/g/1235/440856.jpg the original
      Rovaniemi mitten is on the cover. This is a typical Sami colorway. The
      Sami are the original people of Lapland, who herd reindeer and dress up
      in very colorful clothes.

      Mary Olki published a lot of textile crafts books in the 40's and 50's,
      and many of them were republished in the 70's (many printings too), but
      since then she seems to have been forgotten. She did a lot of research
      in museums and presented very much traditional work.

      Best,

      Marianne in Finland
      off to the sauna to cure my flu
      http://ekebodesign.eu/blog/

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 21, 2007
        http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=olki&y=10&x=77

        I just looked on Abebooks.com and they have some copies by Ms. Olki

        Karin

        --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Kuokkanen
        <mariannekfi@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > It could be just a striped rib, or it could have a twisted border.
        Some
        > mittens have colorwork on a widening cuff and fringes. Some have
        yarn
        > ends on the inside for warmth. I've seen mittens like that lately
        on the
        > web. Latvian mittens are more decorative than Finnish. I have a
        book by
        > Mary Olki that I've loved to bits. I'm sorry my scanner doesn't
        work.
        > I'm also sorry there's so few pictures of them on the Internet.
        Here are
        > some:
        > http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/mittens/
        > http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/seiskarimitten/ Seiskari is an
        island

        http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/2006/12/the_second_rosebud_mitten_is_
        f.html
        > http://www.libraries.fi/en-GB/ask_librarian/question.aspx?
        questionID=547fa626-6afd-4b3d-9844-0a46d37b1f06

        > The Yarn Harlot seems to have written a post about the Lapland
        mitten or
        > Rovaniemi mitten. It's a mitten done in Intarsia though nowadays
        they
        > just knit a plain white mitten and Swiss embroider (imitate
        stitches)
        > the zigzag motifs afterwards.

        http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2007/02/01/the_mittens_of_rovan
        iemi.html
        > The blue book to the left is the book I mentioned, the other one
        not
        > about Finnish mittens:
        > http://vuodatus-static.web-effect.net/g/1235/440856.jpg the
        original
        > Rovaniemi mitten is on the cover. This is a typical Sami colorway.
        The
        > Sami are the original people of Lapland, who herd reindeer and
        dress up
        > in very colorful clothes.
        >
        > Mary Olki published a lot of textile crafts books in the 40's and
        50's,
        > and many of them were republished in the 70's (many printings too),
        but
        > since then she seems to have been forgotten. She did a lot of
        research
        > in museums and presented very much traditional work.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Marianne in Finland
        > off to the sauna to cure my flu
        > http://ekebodesign.eu/blog/
        >
        > > What would be a more traditional cuff on a Finnish mitten? Would
        it
        > > be a more decorative cuff such as the Latvian mitten?

      • Sandy De Master
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 23, 2007

          Thanks Marianne and Karin for all the help.  Marianne, I have e-mailed you privately to see if you could help me locate a couple of books!

          Sandy in Wisconsin