Re: Finnish Mitten Link

  • Sandy De Master
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2007

      What would be a more traditional cuff on a Finnish mitten?  Would it be a more decorative cuff such as the Latvian mitten?

      Sandy

    • Marianne Kuokkanen
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 21, 2007
        Hi,

        It could be just a striped rib, or it could have a twisted border. Some
        mittens have colorwork on a widening cuff and fringes. Some have yarn
        ends on the inside for warmth. I've seen mittens like that lately on the
        web. Latvian mittens are more decorative than Finnish. I have a book by
        Mary Olki that I've loved to bits. I'm sorry my scanner doesn't work.
        I'm also sorry there's so few pictures of them on the Internet. Here are
        some:
        http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/mittens/
        http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/seiskarimitten/ Seiskari is an island
        http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/2006/12/the_second_rosebud_mitten_is_f.html
        http://www.libraries.fi/en-GB/ask_librarian/question.aspx?questionID=547fa626-6afd-4b3d-9844-0a46d37b1f06

        The Yarn Harlot seems to have written a post about the Lapland mitten or
        Rovaniemi mitten. It's a mitten done in Intarsia though nowadays they
        just knit a plain white mitten and Swiss embroider (imitate stitches)
        the zigzag motifs afterwards.
        http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2007/02/01/the_mittens_of_rovaniemi.html
        The blue book to the left is the book I mentioned, the other one not
        about Finnish mittens:
        http://vuodatus-static.web-effect.net/g/1235/440856.jpg the original
        Rovaniemi mitten is on the cover. This is a typical Sami colorway. The
        Sami are the original people of Lapland, who herd reindeer and dress up
        in very colorful clothes.

        Mary Olki published a lot of textile crafts books in the 40's and 50's,
        and many of them were republished in the 70's (many printings too), but
        since then she seems to have been forgotten. She did a lot of research
        in museums and presented very much traditional work.

        Best,

        Marianne in Finland
        off to the sauna to cure my flu
        http://ekebodesign.eu/blog/

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2007
          http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=olki&y=10&x=77

          I just looked on Abebooks.com and they have some copies by Ms. Olki

          Karin

          --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Kuokkanen

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 23, 2007

            Thanks Marianne and Karin for all the help.  Marianne, I have e-mailed you privately to see if you could help me locate a couple of books!

            Sandy in Wisconsin