Re: [nordicknitters] Finnish Mitten Link

  • Marianne Kuokkanen
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19 2:22 PM
      Interesting,

      the author is an expat in San Diego, and the pattern is celtic-inspired.
      Punamusta means red and black.

      Best,

      Marianne in Finland
      http://ekebodesign.eu/blog/

      > http://www.ullaneule.net/0106/ohjeet_punamustalapaset.html

    • Sandy De Master
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 20 5:37 AM

        Thanks for posting the Finnish mitten pattern, Karin.  Marianne, would you say the pattern is not typically Finnish?

        Sandy

      • Marianne Kuokkanen
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 20 7:29 AM
          The way the mitten is composed is typically Finnish, but the corrugated
          rib is not. Patterns have travelled like birds in past times, so Finnish
          mittens have the same kind of patterns as Estonian, Swedish or Norwegian
          mittens. Even the Latvians have the same kind of motifs. Mostly Finns
          use small geometric motifs on the inside and the thumb, and a little
          bigger on the outside.
          This pattern adds to the travelled patterns. Tradition is alive when it
          changes.

          Marianne

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 21 9:08 AM

            What would be a more traditional cuff on a Finnish mitten?  Would it be a more decorative cuff such as the Latvian mitten?

            Sandy

          • Marianne Kuokkanen
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 21 10:44 AM
              Hi,

              It could be just a striped rib, or it could have a twisted border. Some
              mittens have colorwork on a widening cuff and fringes. Some have yarn
              ends on the inside for warmth. I've seen mittens like that lately on the
              web. Latvian mittens are more decorative than Finnish. I have a book by
              Mary Olki that I've loved to bits. I'm sorry my scanner doesn't work.
              I'm also sorry there's so few pictures of them on the Internet. Here are
              some:
              http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/mittens/
              http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/seiskarimitten/ Seiskari is an island
              http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/2006/12/the_second_rosebud_mitten_is_f.html
              http://www.libraries.fi/en-GB/ask_librarian/question.aspx?questionID=547fa626-6afd-4b3d-9844-0a46d37b1f06

              The Yarn Harlot seems to have written a post about the Lapland mitten or
              Rovaniemi mitten. It's a mitten done in Intarsia though nowadays they
              just knit a plain white mitten and Swiss embroider (imitate stitches)
              the zigzag motifs afterwards.
              http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2007/02/01/the_mittens_of_rovaniemi.html
              The blue book to the left is the book I mentioned, the other one not
              about Finnish mittens:
              http://vuodatus-static.web-effect.net/g/1235/440856.jpg the original
              Rovaniemi mitten is on the cover. This is a typical Sami colorway. The
              Sami are the original people of Lapland, who herd reindeer and dress up
              in very colorful clothes.

              Mary Olki published a lot of textile crafts books in the 40's and 50's,
              and many of them were republished in the 70's (many printings too), but
              since then she seems to have been forgotten. She did a lot of research
              in museums and presented very much traditional work.

              Best,

              Marianne in Finland
              off to the sauna to cure my flu
              http://ekebodesign.eu/blog/

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 21 1:50 PM
                http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=olki&y=10&x=77

                I just looked on Abebooks.com and they have some copies by Ms. Olki

                Karin

                --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Kuokkanen

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 23 7:07 AM

                  Thanks Marianne and Karin for all the help.  Marianne, I have e-mailed you privately to see if you could help me locate a couple of books!

                  Sandy in Wisconsin