Finnish Mitten Link

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19, 2007
      This came from the Yahoo Mitten list. It's in Finnish but the graph is
      there !

      http://www.ullaneule.net/0106/ohjeet_punamustalapaset.html

      Karin
    • Marianne Kuokkanen
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 19, 2007
        Interesting,

        the author is an expat in San Diego, and the pattern is celtic-inspired.
        Punamusta means red and black.

        Best,

        Marianne in Finland
        http://ekebodesign.eu/blog/

        > http://www.ullaneule.net/0106/ohjeet_punamustalapaset.html

      • Sandy De Master
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 20, 2007

          Thanks for posting the Finnish mitten pattern, Karin.  Marianne, would you say the pattern is not typically Finnish?

          Sandy

        • Marianne Kuokkanen
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 20, 2007
            The way the mitten is composed is typically Finnish, but the corrugated
            rib is not. Patterns have travelled like birds in past times, so Finnish
            mittens have the same kind of patterns as Estonian, Swedish or Norwegian
            mittens. Even the Latvians have the same kind of motifs. Mostly Finns
            use small geometric motifs on the inside and the thumb, and a little
            bigger on the outside.
            This pattern adds to the travelled patterns. Tradition is alive when it
            changes.

            Marianne

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 21, 2007

              What would be a more traditional cuff on a Finnish mitten?  Would it be a more decorative cuff such as the Latvian mitten?

              Sandy

            • Marianne Kuokkanen
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 21, 2007
                Hi,

                It could be just a striped rib, or it could have a twisted border. Some
                mittens have colorwork on a widening cuff and fringes. Some have yarn
                ends on the inside for warmth. I've seen mittens like that lately on the
                web. Latvian mittens are more decorative than Finnish. I have a book by
                Mary Olki that I've loved to bits. I'm sorry my scanner doesn't work.
                I'm also sorry there's so few pictures of them on the Internet. Here are
                some:
                http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/mittens/
                http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/seiskarimitten/ Seiskari is an island
                http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/2006/12/the_second_rosebud_mitten_is_f.html
                http://www.libraries.fi/en-GB/ask_librarian/question.aspx?questionID=547fa626-6afd-4b3d-9844-0a46d37b1f06

                The Yarn Harlot seems to have written a post about the Lapland mitten or
                Rovaniemi mitten. It's a mitten done in Intarsia though nowadays they
                just knit a plain white mitten and Swiss embroider (imitate stitches)
                the zigzag motifs afterwards.
                http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2007/02/01/the_mittens_of_rovaniemi.html
                The blue book to the left is the book I mentioned, the other one not
                about Finnish mittens:
                http://vuodatus-static.web-effect.net/g/1235/440856.jpg the original
                Rovaniemi mitten is on the cover. This is a typical Sami colorway. The
                Sami are the original people of Lapland, who herd reindeer and dress up
                in very colorful clothes.

                Mary Olki published a lot of textile crafts books in the 40's and 50's,
                and many of them were republished in the 70's (many printings too), but
                since then she seems to have been forgotten. She did a lot of research
                in museums and presented very much traditional work.

                Best,

                Marianne in Finland
                off to the sauna to cure my flu
                http://ekebodesign.eu/blog/

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 21, 2007
                  http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=olki&y=10&x=77

                  I just looked on Abebooks.com and they have some copies by Ms. Olki

                  Karin

                  --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Kuokkanen

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 23, 2007

                    Thanks Marianne and Karin for all the help.  Marianne, I have e-mailed you privately to see if you could help me locate a couple of books!

                    Sandy in Wisconsin