More photos from Sirkka Kononen and more

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9, 2007
      Thanks for the information!

      Sirkka's more elaborate designs are available in her shop, handknit
      and for sale. There are kits for her simpler designs. You can hit the
      link thru Pirkanmaan Koitiyo Oy /One of Susannas under International
      links-Finland. Pictures of her mittens from kits are under photos
      Finland. The website is in Finnish but you can write to their e-mail
      address with inquiries.
      A mail order business here is looking into carrying Pirkka Yarn and
      some of the kits.

      Ekebo design has kits as well of their own design.

      Karin

      --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, knit chat <knit_chat@...>
      wrote:

      > Beautiful photos Karin! Thanks so much for posting all of them! I
      had never heard of Sirkka Kononen or Ekebo Design. I did a little
      Google search and found a little blurb from the Philadelphia Museum
      of Art that provided a very interesting description:

      > Marianne Aav, director of the Design Museum in Helsinki, helped
      curate the Finnish section. Among the artists of note are Elina Saari
      and Sirkka Kononen. Saari, who has spent time in England, creates
      bold felted hats, functional yet very unusual, which she sells at the
      Helsinki market. Kononen designs elaborate patterns for knitted
      sweaters, which are stunning in terms of color selection and design.
      She uses hand-dyed yarn with elaborate tone variations.

      > A majority of Finnish artists in the show are from the Helsinki
      area, but a group of them live in Fiskars, a small village west of
      Helsinki that used to be a factory town (known for its scissors).
      Today, the factory buildings are used for exhibitions and artists
      occupy the workers' houses— the Scandinavian version of the "creative
      economy."

      > Also thought I would mention real quick, I just picked up a copy
      of "Favorite Mittens" by Robin Hansen and she has a photo and pattern
      for gloves that are very similiar to the one in the photo that is
      reversed with long tails of thread left in. The pattern was passed
      down through the generations among families living in New England
      (Massachusetts) where the original was probably brought over from
      immigrants arriving from Sweden. She mentions that the tails are
      meant to create a warm fleece. Very precious.

      > Are these patterns for hand knitters, or are they ready to wear?
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Don't pick lemons.

    • knit_chat
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 9, 2007
        Thanks Karin, again! I found the link to her online store in case
        anyone else would like to visit:

        http://www.ktypirkanmaa.fi/epages/pirkanmaa.storefront

        I can't really tell if this is for the kit or the knitted mittens
        all made up but I did find a link with a photo for them:

        http://www.taitopirkanmaa.fi/epages/pirkanmaa.storefront/45ccb3840019
        e5f527195274eb1006e1/Catalog

        Those were some photos you posted Karin! Nothing close to it on
        their website! I am wondering if they will ever publish patterns
        for anything other than the mittens!

        I also went over to Solveig Hisdal's site from the links list for
        the group, I had not seen that site before, her new collection of
        ready made knitwear is very beautiful, and very inspiring.

        Ann

        --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "loweosborn" <loweosborn@...>