Re: [nordicknitters] More photos from Sirkka Kononen and more

  • Kitty Mabbatt
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2007
      Hi Karin,

      I love the photos you posted.  Thanks.  How do I get a pattern for the Estonian Wristwarmers?  Thanks for any help with this.

      Kitty Mabbatt

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2007
        The Estonian Wristwarmers by Evelyn Clark will be published in a
        booklet produced by the Nordic Heritage Museum sometime this year.
        I'll keep the list posted as to when they will be available to
        purchase.
        They are lovely !

        Karin

        --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "Kitty Mabbatt" <mabbax@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Karin,
        >
        > I love the photos you posted. Thanks. How do I get a pattern for
        the Estonian Wristwarmers? Thanks for any help with this.

        > Kitty Mabbatt

      • knit chat
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 9, 2007
          Beautiful photos Karin!  Thanks so much for posting all of them!  I had never heard of Sirkka Kononen or Ekebo Design.  I did a little Google search and found a little blurb from the Philadelphia Museum of Art that provided a very interesting description:

          Marianne Aav, director of the Design Museum in Helsinki, helped curate the Finnish section. Among the artists of note are Elina Saari and Sirkka Kononen. Saari, who has spent time in England, creates bold felted hats, functional yet very unusual, which she sells at the Helsinki market. Kononen designs elaborate patterns for knitted sweaters, which are stunning in terms of color selection and design. She uses hand-dyed yarn with elaborate tone variations.

          A majority of Finnish artists in the show are from the Helsinki area, but a group of them live in Fiskars, a small village west of Helsinki that used to be a factory town (known for its scissors). Today, the factory buildings are used for exhibitions and artists occupy the workers’ houses— the Scandinavian version of the “creative economy.”
          Also thought I would mention real quick, I just picked up a copy of "Favorite Mittens" by Robin Hansen and she has a photo and pattern for gloves that are very similiar to the one in the photo that is reversed with long tails of thread left in.  The pattern was passed down through the generations among families living in New England (Massachusetts) where the original was probably brought over from immigrants arriving from Sweden.  She mentions that the tails are meant to create a warm fleece.  Very precious.

          Are these patterns for hand knitters, or are they ready to wear?

          Don't pick lemons.
          See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 9, 2007
            Thanks for the information!

            Sirkka's more elaborate designs are available in her shop, handknit
            and for sale. There are kits for her simpler designs. You can hit the
            link thru Pirkanmaan Koitiyo Oy /One of Susannas under International
            links-Finland. Pictures of her mittens from kits are under photos
            Finland. The website is in Finnish but you can write to their e-mail
            address with inquiries.
            A mail order business here is looking into carrying Pirkka Yarn and
            some of the kits.

            Ekebo design has kits as well of their own design.

            Karin

            --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, knit chat <knit_chat@...>
            wrote:

            > Beautiful photos Karin! Thanks so much for posting all of them! I
            had never heard of Sirkka Kononen or Ekebo Design. I did a little
            Google search and found a little blurb from the Philadelphia Museum
            of Art that provided a very interesting description:

            > Marianne Aav, director of the Design Museum in Helsinki, helped
            curate the Finnish section. Among the artists of note are Elina Saari
            and Sirkka Kononen. Saari, who has spent time in England, creates
            bold felted hats, functional yet very unusual, which she sells at the
            Helsinki market. Kononen designs elaborate patterns for knitted
            sweaters, which are stunning in terms of color selection and design.
            She uses hand-dyed yarn with elaborate tone variations.

            > A majority of Finnish artists in the show are from the Helsinki
            area, but a group of them live in Fiskars, a small village west of
            Helsinki that used to be a factory town (known for its scissors).
            Today, the factory buildings are used for exhibitions and artists
            occupy the workers' houses— the Scandinavian version of the "creative
            economy."

            > Also thought I would mention real quick, I just picked up a copy
            of "Favorite Mittens" by Robin Hansen and she has a photo and pattern
            for gloves that are very similiar to the one in the photo that is
            reversed with long tails of thread left in. The pattern was passed
            down through the generations among families living in New England
            (Massachusetts) where the original was probably brought over from
            immigrants arriving from Sweden. She mentions that the tails are
            meant to create a warm fleece. Very precious.

            > Are these patterns for hand knitters, or are they ready to wear?
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > Don't pick lemons.

          • knit_chat
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 9, 2007
              Thanks Karin, again! I found the link to her online store in case
              anyone else would like to visit:

              http://www.ktypirkanmaa.fi/epages/pirkanmaa.storefront

              I can't really tell if this is for the kit or the knitted mittens
              all made up but I did find a link with a photo for them:

              http://www.taitopirkanmaa.fi/epages/pirkanmaa.storefront/45ccb3840019
              e5f527195274eb1006e1/Catalog

              Those were some photos you posted Karin! Nothing close to it on
              their website! I am wondering if they will ever publish patterns
              for anything other than the mittens!

              I also went over to Solveig Hisdal's site from the links list for
              the group, I had not seen that site before, her new collection of
              ready made knitwear is very beautiful, and very inspiring.

              Ann

              --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "loweosborn" <loweosborn@...>