More photos from Sirkka Kononen and more

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2007
      Yesterday I received a new brochure from Sirkka Kononen. I posted some
      pictures from it under Photos Finland.
      I also added some from Ekebo Design.

      Please take a look if you get the chance !

      Karin
    • Kitty Mabbatt
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2007
        Hi Karin,

        I love the photos you posted.  Thanks.  How do I get a pattern for the Estonian Wristwarmers?  Thanks for any help with this.

        Kitty Mabbatt

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2007
          The Estonian Wristwarmers by Evelyn Clark will be published in a
          booklet produced by the Nordic Heritage Museum sometime this year.
          I'll keep the list posted as to when they will be available to
          purchase.
          They are lovely !

          Karin

          --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "Kitty Mabbatt" <mabbax@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Karin,
          >
          > I love the photos you posted. Thanks. How do I get a pattern for
          the Estonian Wristwarmers? Thanks for any help with this.

          > Kitty Mabbatt

        • knit chat
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 9, 2007
            Beautiful photos Karin!  Thanks so much for posting all of them!  I had never heard of Sirkka Kononen or Ekebo Design.  I did a little Google search and found a little blurb from the Philadelphia Museum of Art that provided a very interesting description:

            Marianne Aav, director of the Design Museum in Helsinki, helped curate the Finnish section. Among the artists of note are Elina Saari and Sirkka Kononen. Saari, who has spent time in England, creates bold felted hats, functional yet very unusual, which she sells at the Helsinki market. Kononen designs elaborate patterns for knitted sweaters, which are stunning in terms of color selection and design. She uses hand-dyed yarn with elaborate tone variations.

            A majority of Finnish artists in the show are from the Helsinki area, but a group of them live in Fiskars, a small village west of Helsinki that used to be a factory town (known for its scissors). Today, the factory buildings are used for exhibitions and artists occupy the workers’ houses— the Scandinavian version of the “creative economy.”
            Also thought I would mention real quick, I just picked up a copy of "Favorite Mittens" by Robin Hansen and she has a photo and pattern for gloves that are very similiar to the one in the photo that is reversed with long tails of thread left in.  The pattern was passed down through the generations among families living in New England (Massachusetts) where the original was probably brought over from immigrants arriving from Sweden.  She mentions that the tails are meant to create a warm fleece.  Very precious.

            Are these patterns for hand knitters, or are they ready to wear?

            Don't pick lemons.
            See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 9, 2007
              Thanks for the information!

              Sirkka's more elaborate designs are available in her shop, handknit
              and for sale. There are kits for her simpler designs. You can hit the
              link thru Pirkanmaan Koitiyo Oy /One of Susannas under International
              links-Finland. Pictures of her mittens from kits are under photos
              Finland. The website is in Finnish but you can write to their e-mail
              address with inquiries.
              A mail order business here is looking into carrying Pirkka Yarn and
              some of the kits.

              Ekebo design has kits as well of their own design.

              Karin

              --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, knit chat <knit_chat@...>
              wrote:

              > Beautiful photos Karin! Thanks so much for posting all of them! I
              had never heard of Sirkka Kononen or Ekebo Design. I did a little
              Google search and found a little blurb from the Philadelphia Museum
              of Art that provided a very interesting description:

              > Marianne Aav, director of the Design Museum in Helsinki, helped
              curate the Finnish section. Among the artists of note are Elina Saari
              and Sirkka Kononen. Saari, who has spent time in England, creates
              bold felted hats, functional yet very unusual, which she sells at the
              Helsinki market. Kononen designs elaborate patterns for knitted
              sweaters, which are stunning in terms of color selection and design.
              She uses hand-dyed yarn with elaborate tone variations.

              > A majority of Finnish artists in the show are from the Helsinki
              area, but a group of them live in Fiskars, a small village west of
              Helsinki that used to be a factory town (known for its scissors).
              Today, the factory buildings are used for exhibitions and artists
              occupy the workers' houses— the Scandinavian version of the "creative
              economy."

              > Also thought I would mention real quick, I just picked up a copy
              of "Favorite Mittens" by Robin Hansen and she has a photo and pattern
              for gloves that are very similiar to the one in the photo that is
              reversed with long tails of thread left in. The pattern was passed
              down through the generations among families living in New England
              (Massachusetts) where the original was probably brought over from
              immigrants arriving from Sweden. She mentions that the tails are
              meant to create a warm fleece. Very precious.

              > Are these patterns for hand knitters, or are they ready to wear?
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > Don't pick lemons.

            • knit_chat
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 9, 2007
                Thanks Karin, again! I found the link to her online store in case
                anyone else would like to visit:

                http://www.ktypirkanmaa.fi/epages/pirkanmaa.storefront

                I can't really tell if this is for the kit or the knitted mittens
                all made up but I did find a link with a photo for them:

                http://www.taitopirkanmaa.fi/epages/pirkanmaa.storefront/45ccb3840019
                e5f527195274eb1006e1/Catalog

                Those were some photos you posted Karin! Nothing close to it on
                their website! I am wondering if they will ever publish patterns
                for anything other than the mittens!

                I also went over to Solveig Hisdal's site from the links list for
                the group, I had not seen that site before, her new collection of
                ready made knitwear is very beautiful, and very inspiring.

                Ann

                --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "loweosborn" <loweosborn@...>