Re:question on converting patterns

  • Karin Osborn
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2007
      Great question. I'd love to know  being relatively new also !

      Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
    • knit_chat
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
        Hey Karin!

        I am only speculating, and have not actually tried this yet, and
        keep in mind that I am only speaking theory here (I hope there is a
        knitting guru out there reading this who can set me straight if I am
        getting this wrong) but after reading all the Elizabeth Zimmerman
        books, I have come to conclude that it would go something like this:

        As long you know know what your knitting gauge is with your desired
        yarn, and your desired finished size, you could determine how many
        stitches you would need to cast on, and from that point, you would
        need to make sure your motif pattern repeat was divisible by the
        total number of stitches (or adjust total accordingly).

        I can get that far in my thinking, but I am sure, depending on the
        pattern, that more adjustments to the pattern would have to be made
        for all the areas in the garment where shaping takes place. If the
        pattern had a chart showing increases around neckline, for example,
        and your revised pattern now calls for a different number of
        stitches, I think you might have to create a new chart showing
        increases or decreases.

        What do you think?

        --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, Karin Osborn <loweosborn@...>
        wrote:

        > Great question. I'd love to know being relatively new also !
        >
        > Karin
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

      • Jody Grage
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
          It's just algebra.

          Original # of stitches divided by original # stitches per inch = new # of
          stitches divided by new # of stitches per inch

          Make that into a formula. You'll have three of the numbers. Use x for the
          unknown. Solve the equation.

          If you'd like I can do a demonstration at the meeting on Sunday 18 February.
          I'm an old math teacher and used "the knitting problem" to handle ratios,
          proportions, all of percentages, and a good part of beginning algebra.

          Jody Grage (Haug)