question on converting patterns

  • knit_chat
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
      Hi everybody,
      I am relatively new to Norwegian knitting and have a question for
      the group. I am wondering if it is relatively simply to convert a
      pattern that calls for DK weight yarn so that you can knit it using
      a finer gauge fingering weight yarn. Has anyone ever tried that
      before? It also led me to start thinking about how you would
      convert the pattern to a new size, if the pattern did not offer your
      size in the instructions. And how you could convert a pattern that
      calls for flat knitting into one that you could use to knit in the
      round.

      I was wondering, if you knew your own gauge with the yarn you want
      to knit with, and your desired finished size, would it just be a
      matter of using this information based on the "percentage system" to
      calculate your number of cast on stitches, and from this point,
      would it just be a matter of making sure your repeat design was
      divisible by your total number of stitches, and if not, adjust the
      number of cast on stitches accordingly?

      Thanks so much for reading my post if you get the chance to reply.

      Ann
    • Karin Osborn
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2007
        Great question. I'd love to know  being relatively new also !

        Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
      • knit_chat
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
          Hey Karin!

          I am only speculating, and have not actually tried this yet, and
          keep in mind that I am only speaking theory here (I hope there is a
          knitting guru out there reading this who can set me straight if I am
          getting this wrong) but after reading all the Elizabeth Zimmerman
          books, I have come to conclude that it would go something like this:

          As long you know know what your knitting gauge is with your desired
          yarn, and your desired finished size, you could determine how many
          stitches you would need to cast on, and from that point, you would
          need to make sure your motif pattern repeat was divisible by the
          total number of stitches (or adjust total accordingly).

          I can get that far in my thinking, but I am sure, depending on the
          pattern, that more adjustments to the pattern would have to be made
          for all the areas in the garment where shaping takes place. If the
          pattern had a chart showing increases around neckline, for example,
          and your revised pattern now calls for a different number of
          stitches, I think you might have to create a new chart showing
          increases or decreases.

          What do you think?

          --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, Karin Osborn <loweosborn@...>
          wrote:

          > Great question. I'd love to know being relatively new also !
          >
          > Karin
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

        • Jody Grage
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
            It's just algebra.

            Original # of stitches divided by original # stitches per inch = new # of
            stitches divided by new # of stitches per inch

            Make that into a formula. You'll have three of the numbers. Use x for the
            unknown. Solve the equation.

            If you'd like I can do a demonstration at the meeting on Sunday 18 February.
            I'm an old math teacher and used "the knitting problem" to handle ratios,
            proportions, all of percentages, and a good part of beginning algebra.

            Jody Grage (Haug)