Re: [nordicknitters] Re: Question on making increases "in pattern" on sleeves

  • Marianne Kuokkanen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 27, 2007
      Hi Katie,

      just make one with the backward loop method in the color you need for
      the pattern.
      You can also knit one into the loop below the next st / previous st
      (depending on how the increase should lean) with the color stated.

      best,

      Marianne in Finland
      http://ekebodesign.eu/blog/

    • Betsy Ioannou
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 27, 2007
        Hi,

        For charts where it isn't immediately obvious how to keep the
        increases (or v-neckline decreases) or other shaping in pattern, I
        take the chart to the copy store (or make a digital photo of it and
        print it at home) and make a working copy or two. Then with a marker
        in a different color draw in the increase or decrease lines. I've
        drawn more than one shaping line on a copy in different colors-- for
        simultaneous neckline and armhole shaping for instance or for
        multiple times through a repeat up a sleeve (don't forget to make a
        rough key for yourself if you're likely to forget what color means
        what).

        This generally is easier to use than keeping little notes on what row
        is next and what stitch number in the repeat to start on.

        Have fun with your sweater,

        Betsy
      • Katie
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 27, 2007
          Thanks Marianne, I really appreciate your help. I knew how to make
          an increase, but just wasn't sure how to do it "in pattern" since
          the directions do not come with a charted design showing which
          colors to use in the increases. But I think I found a few tricks
          that might work that I'll post here in case it might be helpful to
          anyone else trying to learn this:

          Here is a link to a tutorial at Knitting Help:

          http://www.knitting help.com/ knitting/ forum/viewtopic. php?
          =&p=342757

          In case the link is broken, here is the text:

          When you are at the beginning of the round, work the increase in the
          color that comes before the first one that is on your needles. At
          the end of the round, work the increase in whatever color would come

          So it would go something like this:

          (Increase stitches are in parenthesis)

          (4) (3) (2) (1) 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 (10) (9) (8) (7)

          Here is a link to another tutorial on the web that I found which
          explains how to keep track of which stitches come next in pattern
          for the increase stitches using a magnetic strip, placed
          horizontally for the rows, and another one placed vertically, to
          keep track of where you are at in the chart expanding outwards as
          you increase:

          http://wendyknits. net/archives/ 000159.html

          --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Kuokkanen