RE: [nordicknitters] Nordic Knit Cafe'

  • Jennifer Sherley
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 19, 2007

      I wish I could join this lovely group in person for once!  I don't consider myself very busy on Sundays yet I have had a scheduling coincidence for every single event!  For now, I remain a lurker on the email list, but I hope to meet folks in person sometime soon and share some strong coffee.  Ah, 2 major hobbies for me: knitting and drinking coffee.  I am really eager for continuing updates on the conference.  That was what caught my eye on a flyer several months ago.

      My singular New Year's resolution concerns a sweater/jacket begun almost 2 years ago and then abandoned.  It is now back on the needles, mistakes have been corrected (although I'm certain there will be more mistakes in the future) and I'm gingerly progressing with the shaping on the front two panels simultaneously.  I look forward to attending a Nordic cafe sometime in the future and reporting (or showing) how close to being FINISHED it is. :)  It is a gift for my boyfriend's mother; at this point, she's probably forgotten about it! The project is not Nordic, but, hell, it's knitting and that's a pastime for a long northern winter if there ever was one.

      Hilsen,
      Jennifer

      From: "loweosborn" <loweosborn@...>
      To: nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [nordicknitters] Nordic Knit Cafe'
      Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 04:11:42 -0000

      Remember this Sunday is the monthly Nordic Knit Cafe' at 3:30PM.

      Please join us if you can. Relax, chat, knit, exchange ideas and more !

      Strong black coffee as always !
      (My Swedish cousin heard we drink colored water over here ! )

      Karin

      Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 17, 2007
        Just a reminder that tomorrow is the next Nordic Knitters meeting at
        3:30PM.

        I am going to try and bring my daughter's laptop with pictures of
        Nordic knitting for a continuous slide show for people to look at in
        their leisure.
        When I took the Braids and Baubles class from Nancy Bush last year at
        Madrona she had one going with pictures from Estonia. Thought that was
        a great idea.

        Karin
      • avinberg
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 17, 2007
          --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "loweosborn" <loweosborn@...>
          wrote:

          > Just a reminder that tomorrow is the next Nordic Knitters meeting at
          > 3:30PM.
          >
          > I am going to try and bring my daughter's laptop with pictures of
          > Nordic knitting for a continuous slide show for people to look at in
          > their leisure.
          > When I took the Braids and Baubles class from Nancy Bush last year at
          > Madrona she had one going with pictures from Estonia. Thought that
          was
          > a great idea.
          >
          > Karin

          I am sorry to that i can not be there tomorrow. I can put in more of my
          Norwegian sweathers later. I have been knitting all my life
          Anita Vinberg
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 19, 2007
            Thank you everyone for coming yesterday ! Thank you Jody for giving
            us the math equations for converting patterns !

            It was great to see what everyone was working on. I tried to take
            pictures and will post them this evening. Lots of creative projects !

            I've been communicating with a fellow knitter in Karlstad, Sweden the
            last few years, even got to meet her this summer on our trip. Anyway,
            I think it would be nice if we could be unofficial sister knit cafe's
            with her group. Got a group picture to send her. Perhaps we could
            share patterns and the like. She sent me a number of pictures which
            my son put on my daughters laptop with other Nordic pictures from my
            trip, off the Web, etc.. We had that running as a slide show that
            people could look at in their leisure.

            It was a relaxing time and it was fun for me to chat with various
            people.

            Take care and we'll see you in March !

            Karin

            --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "avinberg" <avinberg@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "loweosborn" <loweosborn@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Just a reminder that tomorrow is the next Nordic Knitters meeting
            at
            > > 3:30PM.
            > >
            > > I am going to try and bring my daughter's laptop with pictures of
            > > Nordic knitting for a continuous slide show for people to look at
            in
            > > their leisure.
            > > When I took the Braids and Baubles class from Nancy Bush last
            year at
            > > Madrona she had one going with pictures from Estonia. Thought
            that
            > was
            > > a great idea.
            > >
            > > Karin
            > >
            > I am sorry to that i can not be there tomorrow. I can put in more
            of my
            > Norwegian sweathers later. I have been knitting all my life
            > Anita Vinberg

          • knit_chat
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 20, 2007
              Karin,
              If its not too much trouble, can you or someone else in the group
              who attended the last meeting jot down the formulas for converting
              patterns to a different size for all of us in the group living
              outside the area? Perhaps in a future post if anyone gets some time.

              Thanks so much in advance if you or someone else is able to oblige.

              wrote:

              > Thank you everyone for coming yesterday ! Thank you Jody for
              giving
              > us the math equations for converting patterns !
              >
              > It was great to see what everyone was working on. I tried to take
              > pictures and will post them this evening. Lots of creative
              projects !

              > I've been communicating with a fellow knitter in Karlstad, Sweden
              the
              > last few years, even got to meet her this summer on our trip.
              Anyway,
              > I think it would be nice if we could be unofficial sister knit
              cafe's
              > with her group. Got a group picture to send her. Perhaps we could
              > share patterns and the like. She sent me a number of pictures
              which
              > my son put on my daughters laptop with other Nordic pictures from
              my
              > trip, off the Web, etc.. We had that running as a slide show that
              > people could look at in their leisure.
              >
              > It was a relaxing time and it was fun for me to chat with various
              > people.
              >
              > Take care and we'll see you in March !
              >
              > Karin
              >

              > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "avinberg" <avinberg@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "loweosborn"
              <loweosborn@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Just a reminder that tomorrow is the next Nordic Knitters
              meeting
              > at
              > > > 3:30PM.
              > > >
              > > > I am going to try and bring my daughter's laptop with pictures
              of
              > > > Nordic knitting for a continuous slide show for people to look
              at
              > in
              > > > their leisure.
              > > > When I took the Braids and Baubles class from Nancy Bush last
              > year at
              > > > Madrona she had one going with pictures from Estonia. Thought
              > that
              > > was
              > > > a great idea.
              > > >
              > > > Karin
              > > >
              > > I am sorry to that i can not be there tomorrow. I can put in
              more
              > of my
              > > Norwegian sweathers later. I have been knitting all my life
              > > Anita Vinberg

            • Jody Grage
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 20, 2007
                Set up a grid - for example - and I hope enough formatting comes through!!!:
                                                 Old           New
                Stiches per inch
                                             ______   = _________
                Cast on

                Fill in the THREE number you know.

                                                 Old           New
                Stiches per inch           8               3
                                             ______   = ________
                Cast on                    150               X

                Multiply diagonally - 8 x = 450

                Solve for x by doing the same thing to both sides of the equation - in this case divide by 8.

                Now you have x = 56.5

                So you'd cast on 56 or 57 stitches.

                Can be used to figure out armhole decreases, neck cast off, etc.

                Jody

                wrote:

                > Thank you everyone for coming yesterday ! Thank you Jody for
                giving
                > us the math equations for converting patterns !
                >
                > It was great to see what everyone was working on. I tried to take
                > pictures and will post them this evening. Lots of creative
                projects !

                > I've been communicating with a fellow knitter in Karlstad, Sweden
                the
                > last few years, even got to meet her this summer on our trip.
                Anyway,
                > I think it would be nice if we could be unofficial sister knit
                cafe's
                > with her group. Got a group picture to send her. Perhaps we could
                > share patterns and the like. She sent me a number of pictures
                which
                > my son put on my daughters laptop with other Nordic pictures from
                my
                > trip, off the Web, etc.. We had that running as a slide show that
                > people could look at in their leisure.
                >
                > It was a relaxing time and it was fun for me to chat with various
                > people.
                >
                > Take care and we'll see you in March !
                >
                > Karin
                >

                > --- In nordicknitters@ yahoogroups. com, "avinberg" <avinberg@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In nordicknitters@ yahoogroups. com, "loweosborn"
                <loweosborn@ >
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Just a reminder that tomorrow is the next Nordic Knitters
                meeting
                > at
                > > > 3:30PM.
                > > >
                > > > I am going to try and bring my daughter's laptop with pictures
                of
                > > > Nordic knitting for a continuous slide show for people to look
                at
                > in
                > > > their leisure.
                > > > When I took the Braids and Baubles class from Nancy Bush last
                > year at
                > > > Madrona she had one going with pictures from Estonia. Thought
                > that
                > > was
                > > > a great idea.
                > > >
                > > > Karin
                > > >
                > > I am sorry to that i can not be there tomorrow. I can put in
                more
                > of my
                > > Norwegian sweathers later. I have been knitting all my life
                > > Anita Vinberg

              • knit_chat
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 22, 2007
                  Thanks Jody! You are too sweet. I am wondering, is this formula
                  used for converting a pattern if you are switching to a yarn with a
                  different gauge than that called for by the pattern, rather than for
                  converting to a different size.

                  In the formula, the conversion results in a change from 8 stitches
                  per inch to 3 stitches per inch, which would imply the use of a
                  different weight of yarn. I am just guessing that the gauge
                  (stitches per inch) would not change if the yarn and needle size
                  called for in the pattern were the same, no matter what size you
                  were making. But perhaps my assumptions are all wrong.

                  --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "Jody Grage" <jody@...> wrote:

                  > Set up a grid - for example - and I hope enough formatting comes
                  through!!!:
                  > Old New
                  > Stiches per inch
                  > ______ = _________
                  > Cast on
                  >
                  > Fill in the THREE number you know.
                  >
                  > Old New
                  > Stiches per inch 8 3
                  > ______ = ________
                  > Cast on 150 X
                  >
                  > Multiply diagonally - 8 x = 450
                  >
                  > Solve for x by doing the same thing to both sides of the equation -
                  in this case divide by 8.

                  > Now you have x = 56.5
                  >
                  > So you'd cast on 56 or 57 stitches.
                  >
                  > Can be used to figure out armhole decreases, neck cast off, etc.
                  >
                  > Jody

                • Jody Grage
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 22, 2007
                    I use the formula for changing guage, but I knit mostly for *me* so the size doesn't change.

                    Usually patterns have several sizes, so if I want to make it larger or smaller I just use the same increments and go up or down.  Or if I'm working of a measurement, I calculate the stiches per inch or centimeter and multiply to get the number of stitiches.

                    Jody

                    Thanks Jody! You are too sweet. I am wondering, is this formula
                    used for converting a pattern if you are switching to a yarn with a
                    different gauge than that called for by the pattern, rather than for
                    converting to a different size.

                    In the formula, the conversion results in a change from 8 stitches
                    per inch to 3 stitches per inch, which would imply the use of a
                    different weight of yarn. I am just guessing that the gauge
                    (stitches per inch) would not change if the yarn and needle size
                    called for in the pattern were the same, no matter what size you
                    were making. But perhaps my assumptions are all wrong.

                    --- In nordicknitters@ yahoogroups. com, "Jody Grage" <jody@...> wrote:

                    > Set up a grid - for example - and I hope enough formatting comes
                    through!!!:
                    > Old New
                    > Stiches per inch
                    > ______ = _________
                    > Cast on
                    >
                    > Fill in the THREE number you know.
                    >
                    > Old New
                    > Stiches per inch 8 3
                    > ______ = ________
                    > Cast on 150 X
                    >
                    > Multiply diagonally - 8 x = 450
                    >
                    > Solve for x by doing the same thing to both sides of the equation -
                    in this case divide by 8.

                    > Now you have x = 56.5
                    >
                    > So you'd cast on 56 or 57 stitches.
                    >
                    > Can be used to figure out armhole decreases, neck cast off, etc.
                    >
                    > Jody

                  • knit_chat
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
                      That makes perfect sense, thanks so much! I am ever so grateful for
                      the tutorial!

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 16, 2007
                        Just another friendly reminder this Sunday is the Nordic Knitters
                        meeting at 3:30 till ?
                        Bring your projects for show and tell, chat, knit, and plenty of strong
                        coffee to drink !

                        Take care.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 26, 2007
                          We will be taking the summer off for the Knit Cafe'. The last two
                          meetings will be April 15th and May 20th. We will resume in September
                          on the 16th.
                          Take care everyone !