Etsy.com

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2006
      Learning new things every day about sites on the Web ! A fellow Nordic
      knitter pointed this out to me

      Etsy.com

      "Your place to buy and sell all things handmade"

      Just passing it on !

      Have a Happy New Year !

      Karin
    • Katie
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2006
        Karin, everybody,
        That was my same reaction when I first visited etsy.com, I thought it
        looked like a wonderful idea, but after a few experiences with the
        website I thought I would pass along my stories so you would have some
        foreknowledge of what might occur if you decide to buy or sell anything
        through Etsy. There are some wonderful hand made items available for
        knitters including wonderful homespun and hand dyed yarns, etc., but be
        careful with a few things. Some sellers are not dependable or reliable
        and the shopping cart through paypal is also sometimes not dependable
        or reliable. If you are thinking of selling, there are more sellers
        than buyers and prices are very low relative to cost of material and
        time spent making your items, so MOST sellers do this for a hobby. You
        can easily get a seller's permit that would allow you to purchase your
        supplies wholesale, but many distributors require very large minimum
        orders for your first order, just something to keep in mind. Another
        thing to keep in mind, BE CAREFUL with personal information, you do
        have to provide your own shipping address to a seller, so you might
        want to think about providing a work address. I've heard a few strange
        incidents at littlebirds.typepad.com.

        I don't mean to say anything negative but just wanted to provide a few
        tips for safe shopping. Due diligence is definitely important when you
        consider each buyer. If you run into a buyer that seems flaky, you can
        report it to Etsy, but Etsy is made up of a few young kids that don't
        have alot of experience with running a business, so there isn't much
        help available when things go wrong. Start out small, buy low cost
        items, test out the experience first, and if things go well, awesome,
        but if something goes wrong, your risk is very low.

        Kathy
        --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "loweosborn" <loweosborn@...>

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2006
          Thank you for the caution for on-line buying. I know that I've been
          sucked into buying on Ebay without really thinking what I was bidding
          on - quality wise that is - then warning articles come out in the
          Seattle Times.
          I appreciate you taking the time to educate us on this. I'm an impulse
          buyer so this is great information.

          I've bought from Allspunup.etsy.com amd have been very pleased. Her
          rating is %100

          Karin

          --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, "Katie "