Re: NOW what should I do?

  • Wendy Sundquist
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 18, 2012
      Linda,

      I have been where you are more than a few times. One time I just needed the 'guilt' to go away so I sold the partially finished sweater (w/needles, rest of yarn and pattern) at a garage sale. At that time it was acrylic yarn so it wasn't so precious…but I did have lots of time into it.

      Since you know you will never finish it 'as is' here are my ideas. Convert it into a pillow, a hat, a small purse, or a knitted animal. I have a sheep puppet that has an Estonian knitting pattern for the hand and then has a plain colored knitted head and face that came from a pattern out of Spin Off a few years ago. I've also seen old Swedish sweaters that had knitted sleeves sewn onto a vadmal type material that comprised the body of the garment.

      Since the yarn has been 'locked' into place for so long, it would probably have the same effect as a steek, so you might be able to make some well placed cuts and sew up what you want. I wouldn't felt it, since you might loose your lovely leaf pattern. But you might want to wash and full it, which would also help to lock the yarns in place and then do your cutting.

      Have fun!

      Wendy
      Wendy Sundquist
      PO Box 967
      Langley, WA 98260
      360.221.7721
      wendy@...
      http://nordichomecraft.blogspot.com
    • chrisandlaura rtcol
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2012
        I had very sentimental parts to a sweater I knit when I lived in Mongolia.
        They were all wool and cabled, and I knew I'd never finish or wear it.

        After several years in time out, I used the cardigan fronts to make a purse
        (cut and sewn like the other lady suggests), and I still plan on using the
        back, fulled, to make a roll accent pillow.

        Laura Ricketts

      • Pat Brunner
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 20, 2012
          Linda - get a grip! You can finish this vest.

          1. About the fit - you've got a steek up the front, right? At my gauge the pattern repeat on my Oregon measures 3". How much too big is your vest? You can easily eliminate one (3") or two (6") repeats on the part you've already finished and continue on in the new size. You'll need to take out whole repeat(s) but since it's meant to have some ease, an inch or so either way won't make too much difference. You'll in effect have a really wide steek on the already finished part. So you will mark the new steek edge at the beginning of the pattern repeat that will become the new center edge and add 3 or 4 stitches for the new steek allowance and start knitting up from there. Then when you finish, cut off the extra width on the bottom part. If you need any help (other than knitting it), let me know.

          2. Knitting the rest - just think about the remainder as 3 or 4 pairs of socks because that's about what you have left to knit. You knit socks on size 2s don't you? Eat that elephant one bite at a time ;-)

          3. Lots of reward. Wouldn't you rather have a beautiful vest that every one can see rather than socks no one sees? I absolutely love my Oregon cardigan and I get lots of compliments on it. The weight is perfect for our weather and I wear it from September thru June.

          Just do it.
          Pat

          Sent from my iPad