NOW what should I do?

  • Linda W
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 17, 2012
      Hi, there. Waaaaaay back when, Alice Starmore created the Oregon pattern. Over time it had become a vest, a cardigan, maybe a pullover
      (of course any knitter can make any pattern anything they chose) and finally redone in new colorways a few years ago.

      I immediately fell for the large leaves along the edges and began the hunt for the colors I needed. Eyebright, oh, how I love Eyebright.
      It took a while to gather the colors but I finally found them all.

      So, I dug in and got going on it. A few inches above the leaves I was in love with I put it aside. While the tree like motifs are nice, it was the leaves I really wanted.

      So, I thought I would ponder a bit how I could transmogrify the pattern to suit me best. And, here it sits, ages old and now a bit
      more done than it was ten or so years ago.

      Yes, the yarn is intact, thanks for that knee jerk reaction some of you were sure to have had.

      But, here's the thing. First, to my delight joining Weight Watchers when I found that grandmotherhood was looming has paid off. Lost 28 pounds and kept it off for six years now. So, the vest in progress as begun prior to the weight loss would be verrrrry roomy.

      Second, now that I have FOUR grandies to knit for, plus my day to day needlewrangling fun, something that is done on size 2 needles in an adult size is a daunting task, at best.

      So, taking too long to get to the point...what I want to do is turn the swath of gorgeous leaves into a segment of something done on larger needles or somehow else make us of it other than by completing the vest as planned.

      One idea was to change to twice sized needles and half as many stitches in stages. Another was to felt it and make it part of a knitting tote bag. Yet another, I am less sure about how this would
      work, was to change to a lace and make it the top edge of a stole or shawl so as to get the most use out of it.

      For sure I do not want to "lose" the work I have done up to now but I
      cannot see completing it other than as a chore, to be frank.

      What would YOU do?

      Thanks for your insights,
      Linda
    • Sonja Myklebust
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 17, 2012
        Hi Linda,

        Yes, it is hard to lose weight and then pull a UFO out from the closet, only
        to find it is way too big. My suggestion is to finish it just as it was
        intended and give it to a friend or relative that wears that size.. be sure
        to take a picture for your memory book..

        Happy knitting,

        Sonja J

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 18, 2012
          Linda,

          I have been where you are more than a few times. One time I just needed the 'guilt' to go away so I sold the partially finished sweater (w/needles, rest of yarn and pattern) at a garage sale. At that time it was acrylic yarn so it wasn't so precious…but I did have lots of time into it.

          Since you know you will never finish it 'as is' here are my ideas. Convert it into a pillow, a hat, a small purse, or a knitted animal. I have a sheep puppet that has an Estonian knitting pattern for the hand and then has a plain colored knitted head and face that came from a pattern out of Spin Off a few years ago. I've also seen old Swedish sweaters that had knitted sleeves sewn onto a vadmal type material that comprised the body of the garment.

          Since the yarn has been 'locked' into place for so long, it would probably have the same effect as a steek, so you might be able to make some well placed cuts and sew up what you want. I wouldn't felt it, since you might loose your lovely leaf pattern. But you might want to wash and full it, which would also help to lock the yarns in place and then do your cutting.

          Have fun!

          Wendy
          Wendy Sundquist
          PO Box 967
          Langley, WA 98260
          360.221.7721
          wendy@...
          http://nordichomecraft.blogspot.com
        • chrisandlaura rtcol
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 19, 2012
            I had very sentimental parts to a sweater I knit when I lived in Mongolia.
            They were all wool and cabled, and I knew I'd never finish or wear it.

            After several years in time out, I used the cardigan fronts to make a purse
            (cut and sewn like the other lady suggests), and I still plan on using the
            back, fulled, to make a roll accent pillow.

            Laura Ricketts

          • Pat Brunner
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 20, 2012
              Linda - get a grip! You can finish this vest.

              1. About the fit - you've got a steek up the front, right? At my gauge the pattern repeat on my Oregon measures 3". How much too big is your vest? You can easily eliminate one (3") or two (6") repeats on the part you've already finished and continue on in the new size. You'll need to take out whole repeat(s) but since it's meant to have some ease, an inch or so either way won't make too much difference. You'll in effect have a really wide steek on the already finished part. So you will mark the new steek edge at the beginning of the pattern repeat that will become the new center edge and add 3 or 4 stitches for the new steek allowance and start knitting up from there. Then when you finish, cut off the extra width on the bottom part. If you need any help (other than knitting it), let me know.

              2. Knitting the rest - just think about the remainder as 3 or 4 pairs of socks because that's about what you have left to knit. You knit socks on size 2s don't you? Eat that elephant one bite at a time ;-)

              3. Lots of reward. Wouldn't you rather have a beautiful vest that every one can see rather than socks no one sees? I absolutely love my Oregon cardigan and I get lots of compliments on it. The weight is perfect for our weather and I wear it from September thru June.

              Just do it.
              Pat

              Sent from my iPad