92Re: [nordicknitters] Re: exchanging patterns

  • Marianne Kuokkanen
    Nov 29, 2006
      Hi again,

      in Finland you can register the pattern motif only to get it protected.
      That costs, and it has to be of high enough artistic quality.

      But a work is copyrighted as soon as it's on paper, like Terri said.
      That's what I meant.

      Marianne, the gal in Finland :-)
      another knitting designer

      > In most of the world, the simple act of writing or drawing or
      > putting the idea to paper copyrights it. It copyrights the writtten
      > expression of the idea, that is, not the idea itself. Ideas can't be
      > copywrited, that would be a patent, and it's a whole different thing.
      >
      > All you really need to do is put the copyright notice (C) 2006 Your
      > Name. All Rights Reserved.
      >
      > Some countries allow you to register a copyright, which might be
      > what the gal in Finland (sorry, I"m bad with names) was referring to.
      >
      > terri the knitting designer
      >

      > --- In nordicknitters@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Kuokkanen
      > <mariannekfi@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> you don't have to do anything to get your material copyrighted.
      >>
      > Once you
      >
      >> create it, you have the copyright to it.
      >> Maybe you're talking about something else?
      >>
      >> Marianne in Finland
      >> http://ekebodesign.eu
      >>

      >>> Good advise, especially in the rather tight knitting community.
      >>>
      > I have
      >
      >>> explored the possibility of copyrighting some of my styles but
      >>>
      > the cost
      >
      >>> is prohibitive unless you are full-time designer. In light of
      >>>
      > that,
      >
      >>> printing and distribution would depend on whether the material
      >>>
      > is in
      >
      >>> fact copyrighted. Just a thought.
      >>>
      >>> Solveig
      >>>
      >>> - making copies of printed materials and handing them out,no
      >>>
      > matter how
      >
      >>> well intentioned, is a copyright violation and Yahoo could shut
      >>>
      > us
      >
      >>> down.
      >>>

      >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Yahoo! Groups Links