Re: [NorCalFire] Where to post what

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2006
      Well, that's why I don't subscribe to the other lists... :)...fires close to
      me of any size are of interest, but little 'uns elsewhere aren't.

      I did put it poorly, shoulda been 'major or large'. BUT...I do want to know
      about large/fast moving fires in other areas, even if it's just a 'heads up,
      Lancaster area, 50+ acres, heavy fuel and 60mph gusts, updates on Xcalfire'.

      It's not that hard when you post to more than one list to make sure that the
      major post goes to the main list and the headsup goes to the others.

      JMO... :) (You'll note it's not a very humble one, but is any opinion truly
      humble?)

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2006
        Pam , I agree , as I said , I subscribe to So.Cal Fire but don't get
        individual posts this time of year because it gets busy. So if someone post a
        large fire is breaking in LA/ Orange / S.Diego county ( whichever) on Bayscan or NorcalFire I can simply go to my SoCalFire page and change it to individual messages and get updates because they are fighting a large fire.

        Just last summer this happened and no more than I has switched my
        settings that a post showed up showing that a LA County BC ordered up
        35 Strike Teams ...........now THAT type of post ALL of us in the state want
        to be aware of. :-)

        Ed

        > Then subscribe to the other lists :-) Otherwise
        > why have
        > different lists for different areas ? I don't need to hear of 10-15
        > acre fires
        > 400 miles from me.
        >
        > Ed

        > From: "Pamela Alley" <rnrq@...>
        >
        > Although it's not good to see all fires on all lists, I like seeing a good
        > first rundown on fires out of 'this area', because then I know they're out
        > there, how bad they are, and where to look for updates.
        >
        > JMO
        >
        > PA

        > mail directly at norcalfire-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ben
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2006
          god this sounds like Bayscan.. Do you have to come and infect another
          group with your mindless offtopic crap

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2006
            Umm, let me refer everybody to my reply I made yesterday in case you
            didn't read it. After that - lets start closing this topic please. Thank
            you.

            -------------------
            For major/extraordinary fires elsewhere in California, it is fine to
            post a recap here to help us keep tabs of what is going on elsewhere.
            Fires down south can really scramble resources up here and confuse the
            heck out of us who wake up one morning with out-of-state resources
            responding to the local medical aid.

            There will be no play-by-play or initial posting of fires in anywhere
            except the northern california.

            And we always support our sister-list SoCalFire John :)
            -------------------

            Major = incident management team, or for those of us with accurate
            remote controls within reach of our armchair quarterbacking position,
            what we think will become major in the next 30-60 minutes.

            Extraordinary fires = 100 acres in December in high snowy desert. Major
            dry lighting storm torching 100 new starts in a night. Etc.

            Recap = just what Drew had sent, a paragraph touching base on what's
            happening. Nothing more, nothing less, one post, not 20 with 5min increments

            Sister-list = SoCalFire. There is no other list on Yahoo that is active
            in california fires other than NorCalFire and SoCalFire. There are a few
            smaller options like CenCalFire that never really took off, and usually
            end up repeating what is stated in SoCal or NorCal.

            The rest (at least to me) seems to be obvious. If you have any
            questions, feel free to email me directly.
            Thank you. I always take pride in signing my administrative postings as
            List Facilitator since we have never had to have a List Moderator here
            before. Lets keep it that way.

            Jake
            List-Facilitator :)