RE: [NorCalFire] SKU-Hotlum Fire

  • kimnoyes@charter.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 26, 2006
      In other words, the 300 acres applies to the five mile run.
      By the way, thanks for keeping us apprised of events in your relative backyard.
      What kind of structure was lost and was the trestle damaged?

      ---- Bob Berg <bob.berg.listmail5@...> wrote:
      Don't know how they count acreage; I would guess that it would be the area outside the area of the controlled burn.

      The fire "ran" for nearly five miles northbound from the area of the controlled burn to the Mt. Shasta Vista subdivision.

      ~Bob
    • Bob Berg
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 27, 2006
        Relative backyard was correct; fire passed within two miles of my residence. However, due to the direction of the strong winds, no threat to the area where I live. Plus there is a large volcanic hill between our area and the path of the fire.

        From the radio reports that I heard, one single family residence was totally destroyed. Unfortunately, the damage assessment reports were done via cell phone. Did not hear any more reports about the train trestle except that a Union Pacific RR had a representative out there doing an inspection and trains were passing through.

        The rains came in quite heavy around 8:00 p.m. Hand crews, dozers, and most engines were released for the night to return in the morning for final mop up. A few engines remain to patrol the areas. Evacuations were lifted around 8:30 p.m. News reports put the size at 600 acres.

        Following information from another group:

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
          Thanks for all the information. It's nice to have an online witness. It's the next best thing to being there. That is tragic that a family lost their home. It's sad anytime, but to lose one's home in a wildland fire in February up in the State of Jefferson is just plain odd to me. I suppose it doesn't bode well for the upcoming fire season.

          Check out my profile on Myspace.com at http://www.myspace.com/kimusinteruptus

          ---- Bob Berg <bob.berg.listmail5@...> wrote:
          Relative backyard was correct; fire passed within two miles of my residence. However, due to the direction of the strong winds, no threat to the area where I live. Plus there is a large volcanic hill between our area and the path of the fire.

          From the radio reports that I heard, one single family residence was totally destroyed. Unfortunately, the damage assessment reports were done via cell phone. Did not hear any more reports about the train trestle except that a Union Pacific RR had a representative out there doing an inspection and trains were passing through.