Texas Fires

  • hosgs1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
      was wondering if california still have strike teams/
      manpower to send them to these fires in tx and oklahoma?

      this is december and cant believe its still dry there.

      -Ron

      PS. are there any tankers/copters avail for these fires?
    • John Gleichweit PDA
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
        Maybe in South division units, but it would take quite a bit of work to get more than say 10 strike teams put together through the state.

        December/February is the Southern Area fire season. They have a lot of fires in Florida in January, since it doesn't rain that much until Spring.

        John Gleichweit, N6FOG, CA-OES 51-507

        was wondering if california still have strike teams/
        manpower to send them to these fires in tx and oklahoma?

        this is december and cant believe its still dry there.

        -Ron

        PS. are there any tankers/copters avail for these fires?

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

        Get ready for Fire Season 2005!

        Moderator questions/problems?
        mail directly at yahoo@...
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Jon Casamajor
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
          Ron,
          There are tankers that could be available I'm sure. I don't think that there are many "contracts" available for Texas and Oklahoma but I'm sure some could be picked up. You have to wonder what could be put in place for retardant plants that could be put in place on short notice though?
          Here in Chico, Aero Union had quite a few tankers on the field that I suspect had come home for maintenance a few weeks ago. I haven't been out that way since just after Dec 1 so not sure what is still here or maybe moved down that way.
          The media have described these fires as "grass fires" which to us out west means pretty light, flashy fuels and with the high winds reported, tankers may or may not be the tool of choice. I also wonder how well they are equip ed and trained down that way for these sorts of fires.

          Happy New Year,

          Jon

          -- hosgs1@... wrote:
          was wondering if california still have strike teams/
          manpower to send them to these fires in tx and oklahoma?

          this is december and cant believe its still dry there.

          -Ron

          PS. are there any tankers/copters avail for these fires?

          Get ready for Fire Season 2005!

          Moderator questions/problems?
          mail directly at yahoo@...
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Tim Tribble
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
            --- In norcalfire@yahoogroups.com, hosgs1@w... wrote:

            > was wondering if california still have strike teams/
            > manpower to send them to these fires in tx and oklahoma?
            >
            > this is december and cant believe its still dry there.
            >
            > -Ron
            >
            > PS. are there any tankers/copters avail for these fires?

            Ron,

            Using the concept of closest resource it would be a while before
            tasking California on a State-to-State request. There is a compact
            in place for such a request, but we would not be the cheapest or
            closest resource. Figure 2-3 days travel time, the logistics (meals,
            drivers, buses etc.) it would need to be a catastophic incident
            before we (California) would be involved. The last time we sent
            California OES Engines out of state was in 2002 to Oregon. A little
            closer drive. We have deployed to wildland fires in Colorado, Idaho,
            Wyoming, and Montana. But that is a very rare occasion. Aside from
            Hurricanes Katrina and Rita which was mainly Urban Search & Rescue
            Task Forces, Swiftwater Teams and Incident Management Teams it is
            rare to go beyond the border states.

            However, the USFS is sending a tanker from San Bernardino to
            Albuquerque, NM for staging for the fires in Texas.

            Tim Tribble
            Co-Moderator
          • Don Root
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
              --- In norcalfire@yahoogroups.com, hosgs1@w... wrote:

              > was wondering if california still have strike teams/
              > manpower to send them to these fires in tx and oklahoma?

              California's Mutual Aid system is based on approximately 200 local
              government strike teams statewide. However, an out of state response
              like that would be on an assistance-by-hire basis, and I don't know
              what the availability would be.

              > this is december and cant believe its still dry there.

              It is still dry in many areas of California.

              > PS. are there any tankers/copters avail for these fires?

              As far as I know the tanksrs are off-contract for the year, but I'm
              sure that the Fire Center knows how to find them. ;)

              Don
            • hosgs1@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
                Hi Jon,
                I read on msnnbc that so far 125 structures are gone including homes and
                was curious about the tankers,teams.

                they might be of use here.

                I have not seen any news on tv so im not sure if it would help out or
                not.

                thanks for the reply. :)

                -Ron

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
                  Hi Don,
                  Really? man I have to get out more often. Up north here we just got a
                  good soaking the last few days. what parts are dry here in ca?

                  so my next question would be can the tankers be put in service again if
                  they really need too? I mean the fed/state ones.

                  thanks Don,
                  -Ron

                  : k6cdo@...(Don Root)

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
                      Don, any equipment here in the SoCal area will respond
                      but only if asked for. There are many other cities
                      closer tghen here to send help. Tankers are off
                      contract now but there are still plenty of helicopters
                      available. It's my guess that any help will come from
                      neighboring states if asked for.

                      --- Don Root <k6cdo@...> wrote:

                      > --- In norcalfire@yahoogroups.com, hosgs1@w...
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > was wondering if california still have strike
                      > teams/
                      > > manpower to send them to these fires in tx and
                      > oklahoma?
                      >
                      > California's Mutual Aid system is based on
                      > approximately 200 local
                      > government strike teams statewide. However, an out
                      > of state response
                      > like that would be on an assistance-by-hire basis,
                      > and I don't know
                      > what the availability would be.
                      >
                      > > this is december and cant believe its still dry
                      > there.
                      >
                      > It is still dry in many areas of California.
                      >
                      > > PS. are there any tankers/copters avail for these
                      > fires?
                      >
                      > As far as I know the tanksrs are off-contract for
                      > the year, but I'm
                      > sure that the Fire Center knows how to find them.
                      > ;)
                      >
                      > Don

                      __________________________________
                    • Mike Meadows
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
                        jon, I did a story for Firehouse magazine a few years
                        ago on the "heavies". In regard to a tanker base. All
                        that is needed is a water supply and a long enough
                        strip of land. The Phoschek is carried in 50 pound
                        drums and is in a powdered form. Any area like that
                        can and has been used as a mobil tanker base by the
                        feds and, in californias case, the state S-2's.

                        --- Jon Casamajor <k6el@...> wrote:

                        > Ron,
                        > There are tankers that could be available I'm sure.
                        > I don't think that there are many "contracts"
                        > available for Texas and Oklahoma but I'm sure some
                        > could be picked up. You have to wonder what could
                        > be put in place for retardant plants that could be
                        > put in place on short notice though?
                        > Here in Chico, Aero Union had quite a few tankers on
                        > the field that I suspect had come home for
                        > maintenance a few weeks ago. I haven't been out
                        > that way since just after Dec 1 so not sure what is
                        > still here or maybe moved down that way.
                        > The media have described these fires as "grass
                        > fires" which to us out west means pretty light,
                        > flashy fuels and with the high winds reported,
                        > tankers may or may not be the tool of choice. I
                        > also wonder how well they are equip ed and trained
                        > down that way for these sorts of fires.
                        >
                        > Happy New Year,
                        >
                        > Jon
                        >
                        > -- hosgs1@... wrote:
                        > was wondering if california still have strike teams/
                        > manpower to send them to these fires in tx and
                        > oklahoma?
                        >
                        > this is december and cant believe its still dry
                        > there.
                        >
                        > -Ron
                        >
                        > PS. are there any tankers/copters avail for these
                        > fires?

                        > mail directly at yahoo@...
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                        dsl.yahoo.com
                      • Kim P. Noyes
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
                          Ron,
                          As of just a few days ago the CDF aircraft were still visible on the
                          Ramona Air Attack Base webcam. The southern end of the state is usually
                          much drier than up your way and I am not aware of the far southern end
                          of the state getting really drenched yet, but maybe I missed that.
                          Remember, that end of the state can and has in the past had Santa Ana
                          Wind-driven fires into January even though this year it appears we here
                          in California are repeating what we did last year at this time with
                          copious rainfall headed towards SoCal early on in the winter.

                          Kim Patrick Noyes

                          hosgs1@... wrote:

                          > Hi Don,
                          > Really? man I have to get out more often. Up north here we just got a
                          > good soaking the last few days. what parts are dry here in ca?
                          >
                          > so my next question would be can the tankers be put in service again if
                          > they really need too? I mean the fed/state ones.
                          >
                          > thanks Don,
                          > -Ron

                        • Mike Meadows
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
                            Ron, I believe there are 1 or 2 S-2's at Hemet or San
                            Berdoo. Don't know about Columbia. I think the
                            federal planes are down for the winter.

                            --- hosgs1@... wrote:

                            > Hi Don,
                            > Really? man I have to get out more often. Up north
                            > here we just got a
                            > good soaking the last few days. what parts are dry
                            > here in ca?
                            >
                            > so my next question would be can the tankers be put
                            > in service again if
                            > they really need too? I mean the fed/state ones.
                            >
                            > thanks Don,
                            > -Ron
                            >
                            > : k6cdo@...(Don Root)
                            >
                            > It is still dry in many areas of California.
                            >
                            > As far as I know the tanksrs are off-contract for
                            > the year, but I'm sure
                            > that the Fire Center knows how to find them. ;)
                            >
                            > Don

                            __________________________________
                          • Ben
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
                              tanker 100 is sitting there now.. not sure where 330 went

                              Kim P. Noyes wrote:

                              >Ron,
                              >As of just a few days ago the CDF aircraft were still visible on the
                              >Ramona Air Attack Base webcam. The southern end of the state is usually
                              >much drier than up your way and I am not aware of the far southern end
                              >of the state getting really drenched yet, but maybe I missed that.
                              >Remember, that end of the state can and has in the past had Santa Ana
                              >Wind-driven fires into January even though this year it appears we here
                              >in California are repeating what we did last year at this time with
                              >copious rainfall headed towards SoCal early on in the winter.
                              >
                              >Kim Patrick Noyes
                              >
                              >hosgs1@... wrote:
                              >

                              >>Hi Don,
                              >>Really? man I have to get out more often. Up north here we just got a
                              >>good soaking the last few days. what parts are dry here in ca?
                              >>
                              >>so my next question would be can the tankers be put in service again if
                              >>they really need too? I mean the fed/state ones.
                              >>
                              >>thanks Don,
                              >>-Ron

                              >Northern California Fire Season 2005!
                              >http://www.norcalscan.org/fire/
                              >
                              >Get ready for Fire Season 2005!
                              >
                              >Moderator questions/problems?
                              >mail directly at yahoo@...
                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Don Root
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
                                hosgs1@... wrote:
                                > Hi Don,
                                > Really? man I have to get out more often. Up north here we just got a
                                > good soaking the last few days. what parts are dry here in ca?

                                Well, when I left San Diego last week they were talking about Red Flag
                                conditions. The southern-most counties have had a dry year.

                                CDF has one or two tankers on in Riverside and San Diego, and I saw a
                                note that the Fed tanker at San Bernardino was being sent to New Mexico
                                to stage for the Texas / OK fires.

                                > so my next question would be can the tankers be put in service again if
                                > they really need too? I mean the fed/state ones.

                                Depends on the availability of flight-ready aircraft and flight crews, I
                                would bet.

                                Don
                              • Jon Casamajor
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
                                  Mike,
                                  Good to know. It used to take a pretty involved plant or at least the ones I was around were involved and permanent in nature.

                                  Thanks!

                                  Jon

                                  --- Jon Casamajor <k6el@...> wrote:

                                  > Ron,
                                  > There are tankers that could be available I'm sure.
                                  > I don't think that there are many "contracts"
                                  > available for Texas and Oklahoma but I'm sure some
                                  > could be picked up. You have to wonder what could
                                  > be put in place for retardant plants that could be
                                  > put in place on short notice though?
                                  > Here in Chico, Aero Union had quite a few tankers on
                                  > the field that I suspect had come home for
                                  > maintenance a few weeks ago. I haven't been out
                                  > that way since just after Dec 1 so not sure what is
                                  > still here or maybe moved down that way.
                                  > The media have described these fires as "grass
                                  > fires" which to us out west means pretty light,
                                  > flashy fuels and with the high winds reported,
                                  > tankers may or may not be the tool of choice. I
                                  > also wonder how well they are equip ed and trained
                                  > down that way for these sorts of fires.
                                  >
                                  > Happy New Year,
                                  >
                                  > Jon
                                  >
                                  > -- hosgs1@... wrote:
                                  > was wondering if california still have strike teams/
                                  > manpower to send them to these fires in tx and
                                  > oklahoma?
                                  >
                                  > this is december and cant believe its still dry
                                  > there.
                                  >
                                  > -Ron
                                  >
                                  > PS. are there any tankers/copters avail for these
                                  > fires?

                                  > mail directly at yahoo@...
                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  Yahoo! DSL � Something to write home about.
                                  Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                                  dsl.yahoo.com