Mt Diablo Fire

  • Ric
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
      Does anybody have a update on the MT Diablo fire ? Just caught a
      report on the 2200 news on Fox net. Reported as 1000+ acres at this
      time.
    • caladded@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
        Several updates on Bayscan..........

        500 with a potential of 1000

        Con Fire with multiple units plus CDF with around 20 Engines plus several
        dozers , hand crews with more of all the above being ordered for dayshift

        on Marsh Creek Road in Briones Valley area between Clayton and Brentwood

        CDF 1 - 151.355
        CDF SCU - 151.445
        CDF TAC 2 - 151.16
        CDF TAC 9 - 151.385

        Con Fire East 159.615

        2258
        Ed

        ED

      • Ben
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
          500 + acres less than 10% contained

          multiple st's inbound, overhead team requested.

          cdf cmd 1
          tac 2, 9

          feeding at
          www.mattlogic.com
          feed# 2, 4

        • George.Cusack@alldata.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
            Fire is running and just jumped a road at midnight.
            Thanks for info, Ben. Pays to stay up after the streetlights come on sometimes.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
              apparently tac 9 traffic was killing FKU's dispatch.. tac 9 switched to
              white 2.

              George.Cusack@... wrote:

              >Fire is running and just jumped a road at midnight.
              >Thanks for info, Ben. Pays to stay up after the streetlights come on sometimes.

            • David Coursey
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
                You'd think that we'd be able to hear FKU if they could hear mobiles on
                the ground here. I've never heard Fresno here in Tracy.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
                  yeah i've wondered that too. I hear fresno county all the time but never
                  cdf's freq..

                • caladded@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
                    Fire Contained 0335 hours........ I am sure the elevation of these
                    units up on Mt.Diablo has a lot to do with interferance with FKU.

                    No update or acreage.......I image 106 will map out the final acreage in
                    the morning.

                    ED

                  • Harry Marnell
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
                      Perhaps FKU has some (remote) receiver sites not co-located with their
                      transmitters... a' la CHP? Or like LAPD, which has up to 12 or so
                      receiver sites around the county for each frequency to ensure they
                      receive the mobiles/portables, but most freqs use just one
                      transmitter/"repeater" site.

                      hm
                      http://harrymarnell.com/lafire.htm

                      > yeah i've wondered that too. I hear fresno county all the time but
                      > never
                      > cdf's freq..
                      >
                      > David Coursey wrote:
                      >
                      >>You'd think that we'd be able to hear FKU if they could hear mobiles
                      >>on
                      >>the ground here. I've never heard Fresno here in Tracy.
                    • Don Root
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
                        Harry Marnell wrote:
                        > Perhaps FKU has some (remote) receiver sites not co-located with their
                        > transmitters... a' la CHP? Or like LAPD, which has up to 12 or so
                        > receiver sites around the county for each frequency to ensure they
                        > receive the mobiles/portables, but most freqs use just one
                        > transmitter/"repeater" site.

                        Radio signals from Mt. Diablo paint an immense amount of land. Mobiles
                        on the slopes can easily be heard at FKU dispatch (with base station
                        antennas at Fresno International Airport) on the floor of the valley.
                        I suspect it was the ECC that was being impacted by the Tac 9 traffic.
                        As far as David or Ben hearing FKU, the repeaters are situated to cover
                        the Unit while being shadowed to their area (Black Mtn is shadowed to
                        Tracy and Livermore, and Joaquin Ridge is on the west wall of the valley).

                        Don
                      • Harry Marnell
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
                          Don Root wrote:
                          <...>

                          stuff that makes even more sense than my idea.

                          --
                          hm
                        • John's PDA
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
                            They also have a site co-located with Sierra NF at Musick Mt. which can easily see Diablo. Of course, I can hit the South Diablo amateur repeaters all the time.

                            Smokey

                            > Perhaps FKU has some (remote) receiver sites not co-located with their
                            > transmitters... a' la CHP? Or like LAPD, which has up to 12 or so
                            > receiver sites around the county for each frequency to ensure they
                            > receive the mobiles/portables, but most freqs use just one
                            > transmitter/"repeater" site.

                            Radio signals from Mt. Diablo paint an immense amount of land. Mobiles
                            on the slopes can easily be heard at FKU dispatch (with base station
                            antennas at Fresno International Airport) on the floor of the valley.
                            I suspect it was the ECC that was being impacted by the Tac 9 traffic.
                            As far as David or Ben hearing FKU, the repeaters are situated to cover
                            the Unit while being shadowed to their area (Black Mtn is shadowed to
                            Tracy and Livermore, and Joaquin Ridge is on the west wall of the valley).

                            Don

                            Get ready for Fire Season 2005!

                            Moderator questions/problems?
                            mail directly at yahoo@...
                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            John Gleichweit, N6FOG, CA-OES 51-507
                          • Ben
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
                              any likelyhood of getting better reception pointing a vhf yagi that
                              way?Have thought about it to get FKU and BEU better than i do with my
                              5db gain vertical.. same With pointing North Picking up the northern
                              tips units better..

                              Don Root wrote:

                              >Harry Marnell wrote:
                              >

                              >>Perhaps FKU has some (remote) receiver sites not co-located with their
                              >>transmitters... a' la CHP? Or like LAPD, which has up to 12 or so
                              >>receiver sites around the county for each frequency to ensure they
                              >>receive the mobiles/portables, but most freqs use just one
                              >>transmitter/"repeater" site.
                              >>

                              >Radio signals from Mt. Diablo paint an immense amount of land. Mobiles
                              >on the slopes can easily be heard at FKU dispatch (with base station
                              >antennas at Fresno International Airport) on the floor of the valley.
                              >I suspect it was the ECC that was being impacted by the Tac 9 traffic.
                              >As far as David or Ben hearing FKU, the repeaters are situated to cover
                              >the Unit while being shadowed to their area (Black Mtn is shadowed to
                              >Tracy and Livermore, and Joaquin Ridge is on the west wall of the valley).
                              >
                              >Don
                              >

                              >Northern California Fire Season 2005!
                              >http://www.norcalscan.org/fire/
                              >
                              >Get ready for Fire Season 2005!
                              >
                              >Moderator questions/problems?
                              >mail directly at yahoo@...
                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Don Root
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
                                Ben wrote:

                                > any likelyhood of getting better reception pointing a vhf yagi that
                                > way?Have thought about it to get FKU and BEU better than i do with my
                                > 5db gain vertical.. same With pointing North Picking up the northern
                                > tips units better..

                                I think you will find the Mission Peak / Mt. Hamilton / Mt. Oso ridge
                                line will severely impact receiving signals from the south at your
                                location, Ben. If I recall correctly, you are south of I-580; looking
                                north from you is relatively clear (once you get past the Diablo ridge).

                                Don
                              • Ben
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
                                  Yes I'm at the base of the altamont pass, north of 580 going towards
                                  brentwood.. I can see hamilton in the distance and am at about 500 ft
                                  elevation.

                                  Don Root wrote:

                                  >Ben wrote:
                                  >

                                  >>any likelyhood of getting better reception pointing a vhf yagi that
                                  >>way?Have thought about it to get FKU and BEU better than i do with my
                                  >>5db gain vertical.. same With pointing North Picking up the northern
                                  >>tips units better..
                                  >>

                                  >I think you will find the Mission Peak / Mt. Hamilton / Mt. Oso ridge
                                  >line will severely impact receiving signals from the south at your
                                  >location, Ben. If I recall correctly, you are south of I-580; looking
                                  >north from you is relatively clear (once you get past the Diablo ridge).
                                  >
                                  >Don
                                  >

                                  >Northern California Fire Season 2005!
                                  >http://www.norcalscan.org/fire/
                                  >
                                  >Get ready for Fire Season 2005!
                                  >
                                  >Moderator questions/problems?
                                  >mail directly at yahoo@...
                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Don Root
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
                                    Ben wrote:

                                    > Yes I'm at the base of the altamont pass, north of 580 going towards
                                    > brentwood.. I can see hamilton in the distance and am at about 500 ft
                                    > elevation.

                                    If you look at a CA topo map, I suspect you will find that Mt. Oso is in
                                    the way of Joaquin Ridge, and that there are other (equal or taller)
                                    peaks in the way of the Fresno sites in the Sierras.

                                    Don