Shasta/Trinity: Control burn at whiskeytown Lake?

  • hosgs1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi Group,
      was wondering if anyone knows if whiskeytown Lake Fire District is
      having a control burn? saw a large amount of smoke in that area while
      driving from anderson to redding on the freeway.

      redding has a nice breeze and looks like the smoke is sideways which
      indicates a good breeze there too.

      I didnt hear anything on the scanner and nothing reported in the
      newspaper.

      tia,
      -Ron
    • geffcurtis@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
        There is control burns going on the rest of the week

        was wondering if anyone knows if whiskeytown Lake Fire District is
        having a control burn? saw a large amount of smoke in that area while
        driving from anderson to redding on the freeway.

        redding has a nice breeze and looks like the smoke is sideways which
        indicates a good breeze there too.

        I didnt hear anything on the scanner and nothing reported in the
        newspaper.

        tia,
        -Ron

        Get ready for Fire Season 2005!

        Moderator questions/problems?
        mail directly at yahoo@...

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ben
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
          250 acres

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
            Heh yeah, that's the way we do control burns up here. Big, in the middle
            of high dry fuel, at the beginning of fire season (or july 4th weekend ahem)

            C205 was in the air and Red Bluff asked them if there was a large column
            in the whiskeytown area. C205 practically responded "are you kidding?!"
            It is odd though that nothing was reported in the paper etc. They are
            usually real good at letting us know before the large column causes a
            self-evacuation exodus...

            I'm sending this as a 2acre moderate-rate of spread fire is sparking
            south of Corning along I5. We've had countless 2acre moderate-rate
            starts since Friday.
            Jake

            Ben wrote:

            > 250 acres
            >
            > geffcurtis@... wrote:
            >
            > >There is control burns going on the rest of the week

          • Harry Marnell
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
              Jake H wrote:
              > Heh yeah, that's the way we do control burns up here. Big, in the
              > middle
              > of high dry fuel, at the beginning of fire season (or july 4th
              > weekend ahem)

              I copy you, Lowden clear.

              hm
              http://tinyurl.com/7ngzo
            • mike@norcalscan.org
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
                Actually there was a small lil article in the Record Searchlight about the
                burn. The Roost burn as its called I belive can be heard on the following
                freqs:
                165.3125 Whiskey Town NPS
                168.200 USFS Tac 2 (Incident Tactical)

                You can hear both of these and fire traffic from the burn on my live feed.
                www.mattlogic.com/scanner5.html or www.geocities.com/shastaradio

                And on a side note, as of June 1 my live feed will be up 24/7. All fire no
                law.

                Mike
              • hosgs1@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2005
                  Cool, thanks guys. I just saw the Thursday paper online and it did
                  indicate a control burn. check out Redding.com for the pic. also good
                  article on a fire lookout.

                  on a side note I was driving on Eureka way near court St and notice at
                  the gas station there a White fire truck that said Redwood National
                  Forest. Could not get the unit number. they must have asked for some
                  help on this burn, making sure it stays put.

                  thanks again,
                  Ron
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Sounds like Redwood National Park decided to forward stage their equipment for this
                    control burn based on past mutual aid requests...
                    http://www.norcalscan.org/photo/lowdenic/rnp_parkenginejpg.html

                    They like to bring fellow agency neighbors over to "practice" and get some flame
                    experience on the firelines.
                    Jake

                  • hosgs1@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 2, 2005