Ex CCC worker guilty of arson

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2005
    • kb6bhb@surewest.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2005
        Jake,

        Can you paste the story? didnt want to register to the site.

        Thanks

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2005
          I registered a long time ago and ate a cookie to remember who I was.
          Forgot about that.

          kb6bhb@... wrote:

          > Jake,
          >
          > Can you paste the story? didnt want to register to the site.
          >
          > Thanks

          By Jim Schultz, Record Searchlight
          January 26, 2005

          A former California Conservation Corps member could be sentenced to
          prison next month for starting an Aug. 19 vegetation fire in the
          Whiskeytown Lake area.

          Zackary Murray, 20, of Shasta Lake has accepted a plea bargain that
          calls for a prison sentence not to exceed two years.

          Murray, who is to be sentenced Feb. 23, pleaded guilty to unlawfully
          causing a fire in exchange for having an arson count dismissed that
          carried a maximum punishment of six years in prison.

          According to investigative reports, Murray admitted to starting the
          fire near Highway 299 and Crystal Creek Road by lighting a cigarette,
          tucking it inside a matchbook and throwing it from the window of a CCC
          vehicle.

          According to the investigative reports, Murray was part of a CCC crew
          assigned to remove brush in the Whiskeytown National Recreation Area.

          And he admitted to investigators that some on his crew were angry
          because they had not been assigned to fight the Bear and French fires,
          the reports say.

          In a September written statement, Murray said that he threw the
          cigarette and matchbook out the window in hopes that he would be
          accepted as a friend by some in the CCC crew.

          "It was a bad idea," he wrote. "I tried to fit in the wrong way."

          But, he said, it was not his purpose to start a fire.

          "He said he thought it would stay on the roadway and someone would run
          over it, extinguishing the flames," according to an investigative report.

          The small vegetation fire was put out by California Department of
          Forestry and Fire Protection firefighters from San Diego who were
          fighting the French Fire in French Gulch.

          Reporter Jim Schultz can be reached at 225-8223 or at
          jschultz@....
        • Andrew Witham
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 26, 2005
            Republishing it here would be a copyright infringment. I have emailed it
            to you from the RS site!

            Drew

            Can you paste the story? didnt want to register to the site.

            Thanks

            > HYPERLINK
            "http://www.redding.com/redd/nw_local/article/0,2232,REDD_17533_3498539,00.h
            tml"http://www.redding.com/redd/nw_local/article/0,2232,REDD_17533_3498539,0
            0.html

            > Jake
            >

            > Northern California Fire Season 2004!
            > HYPERLINK "http://www.norcalscan.org/fire/"http://www.norcalscan.org/fire/

            > mail directly at yahoo@...
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Northern California Fire Season 2004!
            HYPERLINK "http://www.norcalscan.org/fire/"http://www.norcalscan.org/fire/

            Get ready for Fire Season 2004!

            Moderator questions/problems?
            mail directly at yahoo@...

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            HYPERLINK
            "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/norcalfire/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nor
            calfire/

            HYPERLINK
            "mailto:norcalfire-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"norcalfir

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7, 2005
              Sorry to wake you up before fire season started, but the ability to post
              files to the web portion of Norcalfire has been temporarily disabled
              until at least fire season. A spam user subscribed and then started
              posting lots of bad files to the Files section.

              New members are moderated until they prove they're human, but
              unfortunately we can't control file posting in the same way.

              If you wish to post a file, send it to norcalfire-owner@yahoogroups.com
              and one of the moderators will post the file.

              Thanks!