Chico ER article on Fire Hawk

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2004
      http://www.chicoer.com/Stories/0,1413,135~25092~2510201,00.html

      BIZ BITS: Different aircraft mean special things to this area

      By Laura Urseny

      Chico's AERO UNION had a special place in last week's demonstration of the California Army National Guard's Fire Hawk helicopter.

      The Fire Hawk is a converted Blackhawk helicopter made by Sikorsky Aircraft, and in 60 seconds can suck 1,000 gallons of water into its tank. It proved its capability during a demonstration Friday at Lake Natoma, near Sacramento.

      It's that 1,000-gallon tank and system that Chico airport-based Aero Union designed and manufactures solely. Attached to the helicopter's belly, the tank draws in water via a pump and snorkel device that's dropped into a body of water.

      What makes the Fire Hawk a special aircraft, according to the National Guard, is its ability to carry flame-fighting liquid and foam, as well as deliver people. The Fire Hawk can carry as many as 15, according to Aero Union, and can remove injured or endangered personnel from an area.

      Currently, only five states California, Nevada, Florida, New York and Oregon have Fire Hawks in their arsenals.

      Aero Union President and CEO TERRY UNSWORTH told me that his company is working on its eighth order, this one its third for Los Angeles County. Aero Union has sold one to the Oregon Army National Guard, and four to Sikorsky Aircraft as well.

      Unsworth, who attended last week's event with vice president of manufacturing GLEN NEWTON, said the demonstration was actually scheduled for June, but fire outbreaks delayed it until now.

      According to local JANET MARSHALL of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, and another demonstration guest, the Aero Union system provides more than three times the water-carrying capability of its "bucket" predecessors.

    • Mike Meadows
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2004
        Pam, currently the LA Cty. FD has two Firehawks at it's disposal...And
        they do put out a lot of fire. Mike