Whitmores_Announcements] Credit Card Scam OT!

  • Dan Fuller
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2004
      Whitmores_Announcements] Credit Card Scam
      Credit Card Scam

      Okay, friends. Here's a very scary scam that you could easily fall
      into, even though you are careful and not gullible. I checked it out at
      the Snopes.com website and this is a legit warning. Be careful out there!

      I was recently made aware of the following credit card scam and wanted
      to ensure that you knew about it as well.

      Please read the message below.

      We all receive emails all the time regarding one scam or another; but
      last week I REALLY DID get scammed! Both VISA and MasterCard told me
      that this scam is currently being worked throughout the Midwest, with
      some variance as to the product or amount, and if you are called, just
      hang up.

      My husband was called on Wednesday from "VISA" and I was called on
      Thursday from "MasterCard." It worked like this: Person calling says,
      "This is Carl Patterson and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud
      department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged
      for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would
      be on your VISA card issued by 5/3 bank. Did you purchase an
      Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing company based in
      Arizona?"

      When you say "No". The caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a
      credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the
      charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern
      that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be
      sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

      You say, "Yes." The caller continues..."I will be starting a fraud
      investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 800 number
      listed on your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to
      refer to this Control #". Then he gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you
      need me to read it again?" Caller then says he "needs to verify you are
      in possession of your card. Turn the card over. There are 7 numbers;
      first 4 are 1234 (whatever), the next 3 are the security numbers that
      verify you are in possession of the card. These are the numbers you use
      to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. Read me the 3
      numbers." Then he says "That is correct. I just needed to verify that
      the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card.
      Do you have any other questions? Don't hesitate to call back if you do."

      You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the
      card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back
      within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA
      security dept. told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new
      purchase of $497.99 WAS put on our card.

      Long story made short...we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA
      card and they are reissuing us a new number. What the scammer wants is
      the 3 digit number and that once the charge goes through, they keep
      charging every few days. By the time you get your statement, you think
      the credit is coming, and then its harder to actually file a fraud
      report. The real VISA reinforced that they will never ask for anything
      on the card (they already know).

      What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from
      "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word for word repeat of the VISA
      Scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up.

      We filed a police report (as instructed by VISA), and they said they are
      taking several of these reports daily and to tell friends, relatives and
      coworkers.

      p.s. see http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp for
      more information about this scam.

      Whitmores_Classifieds email address:
      Post message: mailto:Whitmores_Classifieds@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: mailto:Whitmores_Classifieds-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Shortcut URL to Whitmores_Classifieds
      http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/Whitmores_Classifieds

      Whitmores_Jokes email addresses:
      Post message: mailto:Whitmores_Jokes@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: mailto:Whitmores_Jokes-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Shortcut URL to Whitmores_Jokes:

      Whitmores_Announcements email addresses:
      Subscribe: mailto:Whitmores_Announcements-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Shortcut URL to this page:

      Webpage: http://www.whitmorecomputer.com

      http://search.yahoo.com